Thread: Championship????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ralf - I think Albin has a money tree in his back yard! I have seriously considered double dipping (ITA/STx) but you need deep pockets to be competitive. Two cars/classes has to be expensive!

JLawton - Yeah like the ARRC but in a more "National/official" system.

StephenB - A "Real" IT Runoffs would be great!

Sounds like we're not alone wondering how we can make it happen. It would take a lot organization from all the divisions to make it work. We'll see I guess.

....We'll see I guess.
    Quoted for posterity. Yes, you will.

K

Anybody remember that there are a bunch of MARRS folks that would be interested?

Quote Originally Posted by callard View Post
    Anybody remember that there are a bunch of MARRS folks that would be interested?
    Yes.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Butch, did you bribe someone to create this thread? lol

For the most part, I think there are specific races in regions which are highlights. I personally am not a follower of the NARRC championships (other than the NARRC Runoffs event itself). Generally speaking, it seems more of an attendence game.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave - I agree. Moving away from a registration competition is one of the benefits of the new idea. In our neck of the woods we have small fields in IT. Now sometimes they are high quality, with a few front running ARRC contenders in the mix, and other years if you show up to everything you might win. If this works as intended we could develop a premiere divisional IT event that brings out the best competition all at once consistently, while making a trip to the Fest and ARRC appealing to more people.

I am really looking forward to this thing.
    Last edited by shwah; 10-13-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

yes, this threads timing is VERY interesting!

Stay tuned indeed!

(Stephen, good luck on getting 30 car fields. And even tho the NARRCoffs has a strong 20+ car field, lets face it, most aren't ARRC quality. (The front IS strong, but, ever been to a MARRS race in ITB? I can think of 3 down there that will shake you up. Then there's Albin, etc etc etc....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Generally speaking, it seems more of an attendence game.
    Depends on how you design the points system. In the amateur world we live in, where everyone can't get to all the events, when you have all the races count like this year in the NAARC, then I agree 100%.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I just ran the SARRC series for points this year and won. Best six races count PLUS double points for the SIC (equivalent of the NARRC runoffs I think).

We had 100 separate cars run over the course of the year (I believe) with maybe 10 guys running more than 6 races. 3 of us had a shot at the championship.

SARRC is not a show up and win series, although it can be "gamed" in some ways if you are willing to tow long distances. Daytona, Sebring, VIR, Road Atlanta, CMP, Roebling, Charlotte and Barber generally get large ITS fields and you need to have your A game on to win.

That said, if you are willing to tow to Palm Beach, Homestead or Nashville, you can score some easy points.

To me, the SARRC championship is more prestigious (to me) than the ARRC becuase of the year long need for consistency and reliability, the competition, and the fact you have to run and win at very different tracks.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by red986s View Post
    Ralf - I think Albin has a money tree in his back yard! I have seriously considered double dipping (ITA/STx) but you need deep pockets to be competitive. Two cars/classes has to be expensive!
    Running up front in STx will be expensive too. Much cheaper for a full ITx build than an STx. don't plan on running up front in STU unless you have money to burn. When I started building my car for the class, I figured I'd get a couple more years out of it before it got $$$$ to run up front. nah. that happened this summer. I'll always be the poor guy 5 sec off the pace.. but I'll still be there.
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 10-13-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7