Thread: So when is a wing legal in IT?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You can get exactly the same "effectiveness" - at least to the degree that can be measured. It just might be more difficult.

Look - I'd personally LOVE to be able to remove the stock lip on the Golf. It would open up a range of aftermarket parts that attach to the stock location and - like with the non-lip'd Hondas - I'd have an easier time attaching something built from scratch...

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    You can get exactly the same "effectiveness" - at least to the degree that can be measured. It just might be more difficult.

K
    No you can't. Have you looked at these OE 'lips' up close, and inspected how to build a airdamn/spliter on one?

Maybe you can on your golf, great for you, but the models i listed can't.

The models listed must have the air damn set back to get any splitter blade, with the OE lip and the restriction on the height of the airdam/splitter, the lip keeps you from being able to do what you can with the lip removed.

Sure you could build a air damn over the OE lip, but then you have no spliter blade, you can still put the splitter there but it isn't much of one.

Greg Amy has posted a good link that describes what a good effective airdam/spliter, i haven't seen too many good examples of spliters in IT...

Here is a great one for the 92-95 civic and wont be as effective with the OEM lip in place.

Any car with a one-piece front bumper that comes close to the ground has the same limitation. You can't look at just Hondas.

It's pretty hard to get a real splitter out of this car (forgive the dirt, it hasn't been washed since the last enduro.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JoshS; 12-29-2008 at 10:38 PM.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I'm sorry, Jimmy - it sounds like you want a particular design that the rules are going to make difficult to the point of being impossible, equating "how it looks" (e.g., the depth of the splitter blade) with "effectiveness."

But that was probably a poor choice of words on my part, so I'll take it back, since any suggestions here about what's effective and what's not are just guesses, absent any data.

Suffice to say that whatever the rule, there will always be some cars that are better suited in some respects, and others who end up stuck with a design challenge or compromise. Whatever the rule, we all have the same opportunity.

Sorry for overstating my case.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    I'm sorry, Jimmy - it sounds like you want a particular design that the rules are going to make difficult to the point of being impossible, equating "how it looks" (e.g., the depth of the splitter blade) with "effectiveness."

K

Again read the article that greg has posted it talks all about effectiveness.

If you do some research you will see that what is pictured is a effective splitter design. And you can't do it on those cars with the OE lip.

I have no problem that the rules are written the way the are, i was simply stating that leaving the lip on does change things.

I was thinking out loud...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Any car with a one-piece front bumper that comes close to the ground has the same limitation. You can't look at just Hondas.

It's pretty hard to get a real splitter out of this car (forgive the dirt, it hasn't been washed since the last enduro.)
    It looks like you could do the same thing as the car posted above.