Thread: Struts - Inserts or premade?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    I'd agree with the expectation of better heat transfer...

But with a clean sheet, I'd avoid the Konis unless there was no other way... just haven't heard anything good out of their durability in IT cars.

Of course, I have to admit that I'm building my DSR up with Konis, but that's a different story. ITB car is Bilsteins all around, and can go for years without a rebuild...
    Really? Odd. I haven't heard a single problem. In fact, I don't know of anyone else other then SM guys using anything other then a Koni. By far the best double adjustable option out there

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Really? Odd. I haven't heard a single problem. In fact, I don't know of anyone else other then SM guys using anything other then a Koni. By far the best double adjustable option out there

-Tom
    OK, you keep on keepin' on...

Coupla years ago, when the ARRC ITB field was FAST - I think one car out of the top 5 had Koni's... the rest of us were on Bilsteins...

(though I will be the first to admit the non-adjustability sucks balz. My car would be at least a half-second faster if I could get those stupid shocks dialed in. But consistency and durability comes even higher on the list - and they're not that far off.)
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Koni inserts (8610/11) depend on a tight clamping of the upper bearing/seal by the gland packing nut. If that nut gets loose the upper bearing /seal will fail quickly. If the gland nut gets loose enough that the insert pounds in the strut tube the insert is usually toast.

Coupla years ago, when the ARRC ITB field was FAST - I think one car out of the top 5 had Koni's... the rest of us were on Bilsteins...

(though I will be the first to admit the non-adjustability sucks balz. My car would be at least a half-second faster if I could get those stupid shocks dialed in. But consistency and durability comes even higher on the list - and they're not that far off.)
    Funny. Opposite in ITA. I don't think anyone in the Top 10 did NOT have Konis
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

interesting since i think one of the top crxes in ITC was on Tokico Illumina.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL