Thread: Watkins Glen ITS Video - spectator view

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wilson I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. This was an unfortunate incident that tore up 3 racecars. With that said, I think we are all curious to hear your view on what happened from your car.

We watch Greg's video and can see that the miata some how gains speed and T bones the Acura in the passenger side door. The only way we can reasonably assume that the miata caught up to Greg was if you hit the miata and transferred your energy into him, which then flew into Greg. Is this what happened?

I was watching the full resolution video last night and after watching it more it appears as though Greg missed "the hole" by a good amount. Why would that have happened? The only reasonable assumption is that as Jerry pulled to the right he scrubbed speed and slowed down, which closed the gap sooner than Greg anticipated and bam.... The rest is history. I guess at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Many mistakes were made and everyone is ok.

Again I am happy to hear that you are feeling better.

Jermery,

I know wilson did not hit the miata the order of cars was Harding,Amy, Rooke, Wright, the question at hand here is did Rooke have any damage. I could not tell if he was running at the end of the race from Ben's video. All and all i agree with Wilson approach He is a 3 time national champ and has do things in race car that most dream off. He is a true class action.

Jessie Goyette

Quote Originally Posted by jgoyette View Post
    All and all i agree with Wilson approach He is a 3 time national champ and has do things in race car that most dream off. He is a true class action.

Jessie Goyette

No doubt; if you want to be humbled you should see him in the rain at Lime Rock, it's just not fair....

BTW in my opinion after watching the video the white Miata simply had no situational awareness. That section of track is fast with plenty of grip and room, making a "true" apex not vital in the purest sense. He could have maitained his position (and let the overtaking cars go) without losing any speed or track position to the cars he was racing. My guess is he was too busy looking at his speedometer to see how fast he was going so he could tell his friends. Really preventable, and a shame to tear up good race cars and risk others safety and wellbeing.

How did the Miarta fair in terms of damage?

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Jessie and Doc, It is very nice of you to make these comments. Thank You. Jeremy, as per our conversation today I believe this is what happened. When the Miata got turned to drivers right, Greg moved to the left and got control of the car. Within this 1 to 2 second period the Miata which is still broadside to the track comes back to hit the Integra in the side. This allows Matt to get by. After Matts exit the Miata moves to drivers right, still broadside coming across the track. This is where I decide to go drivers right to avoid hitting the Miata. As the Miata now has moved mostly to the right the rest of the field goes by. And the Miata hits the right rail. The first hit on the Integra is the Miata. The second is the Integra hitting the rail. Wilson.

When the Miata got turned to drivers right, Greg moved to the left and got control of the car. Within this 1 to 2 second period the Miata which is still broadside to the track comes back to hit the Integra in the side. This allows Matt to get by. After Matts exit the Miata moves to drivers right, still broadside coming across the track. This is where I decide to go drivers right to avoid hitting the Miata.
    That makes the most sense, Wilson...but I saw you go for your ride on the grass in the video, and i saw a disabled car parked there, and I saw the aftermath (how bad's the car?), but I've missed how your deal went down? What happened to you?
    Last edited by lateapex911; 09-19-2008 at 09:22 AM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by jgoyette View Post
    I know wilson did not hit the miata the order of cars was Harding,Amy, Rooke, Wright, the question at hand here is did Rooke have any damage. I could not tell if he was running at the end of the race from Ben's video. All and all i agree with Wilson approach He is a 3 time national champ and has do things in race car that most dream off. He is a true class action.

Jessie Goyette

My Perspective: I was right in Amy's draft coming off of T1 and up to the accident. IMO Amy was unable to slam the brakes because he knew i was right behind and he would have likely got rear ended. I would have attempted the same move.

My car sustained no damage. Though it was an extremely close call after Amy took the big hit, I missed him by a hair.

I agree the miata had no reason to take that apex and he should have had more situational awareness. Though the rules tend to point the finger at the overtaking driver in these situations, I would clarify this as a common racing incident that unfortunatly happened at a very high speed and walled in part of the race course.

I know I'm late to the party on this, but what a %$#! scary hit! What occurs to me as I watch it is how fast we're going at the end of the esses, and that "floaty" feeling you often get there. And that's when you're by yourself, no traffic in sight! Glad everybody's more or less OK.

Greg, old chum, you've had more than your share of Miata-lapping hardship this year.

Steve
    Last edited by ulfelder; 09-19-2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: content