Thread: Jim Stark Report?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

also - carnage in the SM race, with some damage in the ITA/S/R/7 field too. only incident in ITB/C/SRF/T3/SSB group was the saturday qual incident with me and the datsun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    also - carnage in the SM race, with some damage in the ITA/S/R/7 field too. only incident in ITB/C/SRF/T3/SSB group was the saturday qual incident with me and the datsun.
    Ouch -- what happened in A/S/R/7? Did we lose any cars?? I hope not...
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Saturday there was a bit of a pile up in the first corner. I saw three or four cars nose to tail hitting each other as I flew by, trying to avoid contact and find a hole, but I didn't see what caused it.

The sunday A/S/R/7 race had around 10 less entries.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Tristan - I didn't get a chance to stop and introduce myself but your car looked fantastic. good to see you out there.

Thanks Chip. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk, but I did enjoy watching you use the oak tree.

While your damage was substantial, that 510 really got walloped. Hate to see that happen to anyone.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith View Post
    Thanks Chip. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk, but I did enjoy watching you use the oak tree.

While your damage was substantial, that 510 really got walloped. Hate to see that happen to anyone.
    The Datsun 510 is one of my favorite cars of all time, and yeah - it got hurt badly, probobly a re-tub. I was terribly upset about the whole thing and wish there were something I could have done to get away from it (didn't want to see either of us get damaged!). I'm really glad the driver was OK, and his spirits were pretty good. I'm also uninjured and wonder how the hell I'm going to fix this thing - there's about a billion individual stampings in that front end. neither of the cars are particularly common finds anymore, much less wihtout serious rot. sometimes racing sucks.
    Last edited by Chip42; 04-30-2012 at 04:21 PM.

The R/S/A/7 incident was a case of someone moving right on Chip Bailey, who moved right on Shaun Hinds, who ended up in the grass entering the braking area into turn 1. Shaun spun and looked to have crossed the track and missed everyone. But he wasn't all the way off and his last half spin brought him back to the inside of the track. A black ITS RX7 (I think Bill Gallup) then hit Shaun in the back. I was following right behind and couldn't see where Shaun had ended up, so I then nailed the RX7. I didn't see how much damage Gallup got, but he drove in to retire. The impact seriously damaged the whole front end of my car, but it was drivable. Other than the bodywork, the worst thing about it was, the guy who spun (Shaun) ended up with a bigger lead over me than he started with!

I was able to run him down with about 5 to go, but I picked up a serious engine bobble going around turn 6 and/or 7 on most laps (i.e., it would almost die completely). I'd pick up a bunch from 1 to 6, then watch him disappear while waiting for the car to start running again. Turned out that my air cleaner stud had broken (from the crash, perhaps?) and with the cleaner flopping around, the rubber gasket had gotten partially sucked into the carb and was intermittently obstructing an auxiliary venturi (for you FI types, that's the part that lets the gas in ). Then the leaders caught me on the last turn, last lap but didn't catch Shaun by the checker, so I lost my last shot.

Things went better on Sunday (other than getting black flagged in qualifying because my hood wouldn't stay closed - it doesn't fit anymore). In the race, I held off Stan Hinds at the start and steadily pulled away. Thanks to Tristan, who waved me by early on and made it a little easier.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

No results on MyLaps yet. CB
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!