Quote Originally Posted by JimLill View Post
When I look at every bit of raw data, and align the individual votes of users, I see that some people checked all 3 "approval" choices as critical. Maybe, just to be "safe"

Also, in the case of SFI, there is a chance that many checked that as critical in making a choice of what to buy but that doesn't mean critical in terms of performance. For example, if you race with an org that currently requires SFI, you might see that as critical to what you buy.
As this survey was broadcast across multiple message boards, you've got a cross section from multiple sanctioning bodys, and of those only the SCCA doesn't mandate SFI/FIA compliant devices. That is if you run even once a season with NASA, BMWCCA-CR, PCA, or any number of other sanctioning bodies, if there isn't a SFI sticker then there's no racing on the track. I say this not because I'm a fan of HANS or the SFI spec, because the wording of the SFI spec requires a device that crosses patent lines. For an example look at what's happening to Defender being sued for patent infringement. What might the outcome of this suite be? Is there a chance that Downing/Hubbard might loose the rights to future patent income because the also wrote the SFI spec?

On a side note, did anyone see the glowing write up of D/H in Grassroots? Is anyone planning on writing a letter on that?