Thread: FWD vs RWD: Adders, Subtractors, and Weight, Oh my...!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Please run the 1.8 ITA Miatas thru your new and improved process.
    Paul Sherman
    Wichita Region
    '96 Neon #19 ITA (finally )
    Formerly known as P Sherm
    Joined 30 Sep 02
    Member No. 1176

Quote Originally Posted by PSherm View Post
    Please run the 1.8 ITA Miatas thru your new and improved process.
    The two new 'proceedures' are for FWD and torque 'adders'. Neither of which affect any rwd cars in the ITCS. DW adders in ITS, ITA, ITB and ITC remain at +50.

I really like what Kirk and Josh are bringing to the table in terms of 'math'. I like the new FWD stuff and the torque process we are working through seems to make sense to me too. Trying to eliminate true subjectivity from the process. And the record keeping is awesome.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 04-28-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    The two new 'proceedures' are for FWD and torque 'adders'. Neither of which affect any rwd cars in the ITCS. DW adders in ITS, ITA, ITB and ITC remain at +50.
    Sorry Andy, that was meant to be a joke. While I do very much appreciate what the ITAC has done over the last few years, and I believe they are doing the right things, I FIRMLY believe the 1.8 ITA Miatas are under weight.
    Paul Sherman
    Wichita Region
    Joined 30 Sep 02
    Member No. 1176

Quote Originally Posted by PSherm View Post
    Sorry Andy, that was meant to be a joke. While I do very much appreciate what the ITAC has done over the last few years, and I believe they are doing the right things, I FIRMLY believe the 1.8 ITA Miatas are under weight.
    Actually, RWD cars have gotten attention. Live axles have been ID'ed as an item that gets an adder.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Question

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Actually, RWD cars have gotten attention. Live axles have been ID'ed as an item that gets an adder.
    ADDER? WTF?

What are we out to do, force everyone to drive FWD boxes or Miatas?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    ADDER? WTF?

What are we out to do, force everyone to drive FWD boxes or Miatas?
    Ron - geesh. "Adder" is a generic term used for a post-base weight addition or reduction. FWD adder, torque adder, etc. SOme can - and do go either way.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Ron - geesh. "Adder" is a generic term used for a post-base weight addition or reduction. FWD adder, torque adder, etc. SOme can - and do go either way.
    I think the term modifier is more appropriate and scalar is more accurate in some circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    I'm getting really sick of hearing this from people, especially in this division. I'm going to lay it out in a not-so-nice-but-honest way. The prep level of the IT cars in this division sucks. What you're seeing is that a couple guys (like Ray Yergler) are finally showing up with a GOOD ITA car, and combined with a good driver (he's a former National Champion HP guy from back in the day) is kicking everyone's ass.

It has even gone so far as to have an ITA CRX guy tell me "the CRX days are over, there's nothing to compete with those 1.8 Miatas, even the SM versions are faster than us." Well I'm sorry but that's becuase your car is a giant piece of shit, and you're not a bad driver, but I wouldn't say you're great either.

Meanwhile, we've got an ITA Integra beating some pretty top-notch ITA Miatas at a track that people admit couldn't be more custom tailored to suit a miata, yet the integra driver still has the gall to say the car is way underweight.

What's really going on here is fear. People are scared that the SM guys are going to bring over their level of prep, testing, and driver skill to IT and up the anti/cost to compete for everyone.

I'm fucking sick of it.
    Sorry to get you riled up, Trav. I agree about the level of prep of some of the Midiv cars, but I really believe the fully prepped 1.8 Miatas are making more power than the multiplier used in "The Process". I don't have any dyno numbers and haven't seen any, but has the ITAC?

BTW, the Integra you spoke of, I haven't seen one in the Midiv?
    Paul Sherman
    Wichita Region
    Joined 30 Sep 02
    Member No. 1176