Thread: IT-level cars coming to a National near you? B Spec Race Cars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Allowed the removal of the interiors. Why?
    Not for us,if my kid cant drive it to school.
    Np reason to allow gutting the inside. poor choice. Can I tell you what I relly think??
    I sent a letter, asking for sealed engines and 140 TW tires. KISS. and let it work.
    The weights are too low without gutting also.
    "Camber" section should say and/or slotting of the strut /knuckle.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Allowed the removal of the interiors. Why?
    Not for us,if my kid cant drive it to school.
    Np reason to allow gutting the inside. poor choice. Can I tell you what I relly think??
    I sent a letter, asking for sealed engines and 140 TW tires. KISS. and let it work.
    The weights are too low without gutting also.
    "Camber" section should say and/or slotting of the strut /knuckle.
    MM
    Showroom Stock and Touring classes are, or at least should, be structured to take advantage of factory support. Really without that support the classes for new relatively expensive cars do not make sense.
    B Spec is based on a consensus agreement from those manufacturers. SCCA is working with these companies to make the rules universal. I honestly think you are looking at the wrong class for super cheap racing.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

What Dick said. There's NO reason to think that racing any new car is going to be cheaper than racing a sensibly old IT car.

EDIT - now what the manufacturers ought to do is implement a program to spread their support thinly over lots of racers, rather than heavily subsidizing just a couple each. Then we would have the makings of something very big.

K

I talked to Mazda. They said that SCCA made the rules.
    How many letters were sent to SCCA to get these cars going? Maybe NASA will do a better job. It could be "Renault cup",al over again. The best racing in history.
    The weights are about 200# too low at my estimation.
    Think of the marketing potential of the car being driven to the track and home again. There are lots of college kids that could be driving these around.
    We have plenty of race cars already.This was just going to be a cool transport and occasional racer.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

That is not entirely true.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

How many letters were sent to SCCA to get these cars going? Maybe NASA will do a better job. It could be "Renault cup",al over again. The best racing in history.
    The weights are about 200# too low at my estimation.
    Think of the marketing potential of the car being driven to the track and home again. There are lots of college kids that could be driving these around.
    We have plenty of race cars already.This was just going to be a cool transport and occasional racer.
    You're living in the past.
    Seriously. Go buy a $16K car, put $4K of safety gear in it and then daily drive AND race it?
    You just can't do that anymore. Makes no sense.
    And if you really want to, who would buy a new car as opposed to a built race car for less than half the money?

Dicks right, new cars are $$, and they get wrecked. Manufacturer involvement is key in this category.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post

Dicks right, new cars are $$, and they get wrecked. Manufacturer involvement is key in this category.
    Yeah like "body in white" cars from ford, honda, and mazda would be a nice start.

Think of the marketing potential of the car being driven to the track and home again.
    I don't know many people who would drive a wheel to wheel race car to the track and home again. HPDE events and maybe even time trial guys, but I think few guys would drive to the track and back in a wheel to wheel race car.

To be fair, I commuted to and from the University of Washington the entire last year of my bachelor's degree program in our Renault Cup Alliance.

To prove a point - and because we sort of didn't have another option - we also drove it from Seattle to the last IMSA weekend at Riverside, CA. We had to rotate the rear torsion bars to raise the back end enough that it didn't drag on the ground with the spare tires, tool box, tent and sleeping bags. And two people. We took enough cash to know that we could buy Greyhound tickets to get home if the car got bent but that was the extent of our contingency plan.

Oh, to be young and stupid again...

The funny PS is that we caught a wicked tailwind down around Sacramento and got 50+ mpg for most of a tank.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    To be fair, I commuted to and from the University of Washington the entire last year of my bachelor's degree program in our Renault Cup Alliance.
    ...and I competed in three years of National Club racing in Showroom Stock A -- while attending college *and* delivering pizzas nightly -- all in my sole car, a 1987 Shelby CSX. All three years I not only drove the car to and from all National events across Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas with tires and tools stuffed into the the back of the car (along with a full interior), I also drove it round-trip each of those three years from north central Texas to the SCCA Runoffs at Road Atlanta, GA.

So, now you do know a couple of guys who would drive a wheel to wheel race car to the track and home again...you do what ya gotta do... - GA