Thread: ITA/7 vs ITB vs SM in the Midwest

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I used to own and drive a 1980 RX7 in ITA/7. It held the MAM track record and I think the new driver holds it now. I believe the car is for sale. Contact David Vandeberg at Sioux Center, IA. He is in the DMVR directory. 712-722-0517 This is a very good car. Well-prepared, fast and reliable. I think it will also be relatively inexpensive to purchase. It served me well.

Since you'd prefer RWD, and are looking at ITB - have you considered a 924? Not such a common choice, but inexpensive to run, there are a few around, and the cars are doing fairly well since being moved to B.

Then again, if there isn't much of an ITB field out your way, that may not be so appealing...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    Since you'd prefer RWD, and are looking at ITB - have you considered a 924? Not such a common choice, but inexpensive to run, there are a few around, and the cars are doing fairly well since being moved to B.

Then again, if there isn't much of an ITB field out your way, that may not be so appealing...
    Actually you are onto something - as I have been looking around, doing a 944 for the Spec 944 class in NASA seems pretty appealing too! A nice blend of high on the "cool" factor but relatively low on the "dollar" factor. I think they fall into ITE in SCCA but I'm not 100% sure?

the Spec 944 from NASA will fall into ITS with SCCA. there is a guy here in KC that just built one and will be running fairly frequently this year.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Travis... Will he be at Gateway at the end of the month?

One of the local BMWCCA guys if building a Spec944 as well... He won't be ready until April though.

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    the Spec 944 from NASA will fall into ITS with SCCA. there is a guy here in KC that just built one and will be running fairly frequently this year.
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
    Travis... Will he be at Gateway at the end of the month?

One of the local BMWCCA guys if building a Spec944 as well... He won't be ready until April though.

nope, Hallett will be his first race. I think he said he's going to try and make 5 weekends this year.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I know someone in Chicagoland that is building 3 or 4 spec 944s right now, some customer and some rentals. I'll pick his brain and see what separates them from IT specifications, and see what a rental would run.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I'd recommend pursuing 944 Cup instead of Spec 944 - you'll have a better level of competitiveness with an ITS-prepped 944 than a Spec-prepped 944 (which, like IT7/SRX7, is a lower level of prep). Also, check numbers in your area, but I think 944Cup is better represented in the Midwest area than Spec 944. Not sure on that one though.

But I was actually talking about an ITB 2.0L 924, which is much less expensive than the 944 - the only real difference being the engine, and it's cheaper to build a VW than a Porsche!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by miketrier View Post
    I used to own and drive a 1980 RX7 in ITA/7. It held the MAM track record and I think the new driver holds it now. I believe the car is for sale. Contact David Vandeberg at Sioux Center, IA. He is in the DMVR directory. 712-722-0517 This is a very good car. Well-prepared, fast and reliable. I think it will also be relatively inexpensive to purchase. It served me well.
    Thanks Mike, I am not quite at the check-writing stage yet, I have to clear a couple of projects from the garage yet - it'll be late this year or early next before I am there. It does sound well-sorted!