Thread: ITC Super Beetle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    According to this article, it looks like 60hp gross, 46 SAE Net. If all Super Beetles are spec'ed together, then 48 appears to be the peak.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/Affor...ics/2004/June/

Something tells me it won't get down to its spec weight, no matter how we calculate it, so just make the car as light as legally possible!
    It blew up the official ITAC spreadsheet: The resulting spec weight is an imaginary number.

:026:

K

EDIT for my favorite "owning a Super Beetle" story. I was driving home from work on I-405 one evening, and heard a "thwak, TING, Ting, ting, tiiiing..." just a second before the car (his name was Waldo, after an obscure cartoon character from my childhood) took a big swerve. I gathered it up and pulled off the next exit. The left rear tire was tucked up almost touching the inside of the fender... Fast forward to being 16 and not having the faintest idea how to figure out what was wrong, so I take it to the local dealer. They put it up in the air, charge me $80 and proclaim that there's nothing wrong with it. (In hindsight, the suspension went into full droop and probably looked fine from underneath.) I'm young and dumb and walk out poorer and no smarter. After a lot of head scratching, we FINALLY figure out that the huge metric socket-head cap screw that holds the rear trailing arm has fallen out. We sourced one from the U-pick but could never get it torqued tight enough keep it from backing out, so securing it in there became one of the very first projects undertaken with the gas welding rig I got the next summer...
    Last edited by Knestis; 05-16-2009 at 09:48 PM.