Thread: Rental Costs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Simon,

No disrespect intended...I love the initiative, but if you have to rent out your car to afford racing, you can't afford racing and you shouldn't do it.

An enduro rental needs to have NEW everything (hubs, rotors, pads, fluids, maybe clutch, tires, etc) and you need to keep on top of those things so you minimize the chance of a mechanical DNF. You also need to have spares, enough spares to get that car back on track WHEN (not if) an incident occures. Suspension, transmission, ECU, etc. You will need rain tires too. You will need a strong contract. You will need to set expectations. Feel the pain yet?

Rental rides that actually MAKE money, require drivers who are willing to pay real money for a seat. With that money comes expectations about service levels - and I am not sure you are ready for what that really means. It takes time to develop a good program. Trust me.

It's just really a HUGE risk for not much gain.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Yea, Andy hit it: Pleasing customers is dependent on setting, then meeting or exceeding expectations.

Now, Simon might be looking at another angle, the 'rent to buddies' angle, and he might just want to make sure he's covered. But, even so, it's all about setting expectations, covering your own ass, and when money changes hands, people get, you know, 'different'.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrar05 View Post
    make it a V8 car like mine and then you are into some real money.
    I'm not trying to make money, there is no money in racing everyone knows that just trying to do enduros and be as fair as possible for other drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Simon,

No disrespect intended...I love the initiative, but if you have to rent out your car to afford racing, you can't afford racing and you shouldn't do it.

An enduro rental needs to have NEW everything (hubs, rotors, pads, fluids, maybe clutch, tires, etc) and you need to keep on top of those things so you minimize the chance of a mechanical DNF. You also need to have spares, enough spares to get that car back on track WHEN (not if) an incident occures. Suspension, transmission, ECU, etc. You will need rain tires too. You will need a strong contract. You will need to set expectations. Feel the pain yet?

Rental rides that actually MAKE money, require drivers who are willing to pay real money for a seat. With that money comes expectations about service levels - and I am not sure you are ready for what that really means. It takes time to develop a good program. Trust me.

It's just really a HUGE risk for not much gain.
    I'm not doing it to FUND my racing, but do have in mind if done right I can at least not really spend too much on enduros. I've been collecting large amounts of spares as well but I've always been sort of a spare freak since my first car, there is nothing like going into the parts shed at home to get something you need.

I personally believe the people who will be working as mechanics for me are more than capable, they have experience, one has worked for OPM, one owns a performance shop, etc. We won't be a top notch professional team, but the prices in my head aren't even close to what they would charge. I have way too big of a guilty conscience to charge a lot for not enough. I just want to be fair, also the renter would know at least right now the car is just a fun basic car, it's not a front runner, it would suit someone looking to have fun or just starting out.

Thanks for the post though! It's all very helpful, keep it coming!

Simon, I kinda like where you're going with this and there are ways to make it work. A huge part of what you need to do with anyone is manage expectations, be very open with the level of prep and support you're talking about, then put all of that into writing along with crash damage liablity, labor costs, and other CYA things. Andy is absolutely right from the perspective of doing this as a true rental business, but I do not see you taking this down that path.

and a few girls

THIS is your key to success!!! Bring hot girls to help work on the car, be friendly to renters, and poof, jackpot - there you have it.
    Last edited by gran racing; 02-04-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Short, easy math answer...

It got to the point where was charging $2500/seat for 1/4 of a the VIR 13 or similar race, and my seat was costing me substantially more than that. I was subsidizing others' racing, which worked OK when the economy was good and it was a sellers' market. Now? Not so much.

Now, to be fair, I was paying a real pro shop (RGM in my sig line) to do the preparation. The car was RIGHT but it cost actual money.

Kirk (who will be a renter for enduros this year)

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Simon, I kinda like where you're going with this and there are ways to make it work. A huge part of what you need to do with anyone is manage expectations, be very open with the level of prep and support you're talking about, then put all of that into writing along with crash damage liablity, labor costs, and other CYA things. Andy is absolutely right from the perspective of doing this as a true rental business, but I do not see you taking this down that path.

THIS is your key to success!!! Bring hot girls to help work on the car, be friendly to renters, and poof, jackpot - there you have it.
    I can bring girls. Nothing like making a renting driver feel awesome then sitting in a mid pack Neon with an umbrella girl standing over him.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Short, easy math answer...

It got to the point where was charging $2500/seat for 1/4 of a the VIR 13 or similar race, and my seat was costing me substantially more than that. I was subsidizing others' racing, which worked OK when the economy was good and it was a sellers' market. Now? Not so much.

Now, to be fair, I was paying a real pro shop (RGM in my sig line) to do the preparation. The car was RIGHT but it cost actual money.

I've done so much adding up and trying to budget what my car will really cost to run. Like you said though your car is a much better prepared than mine, so my costs would be significantly less, I had $1000 or so in mind for the NASA 8 hour enduro and thought that may be too high for my car, I'm really not sure though and probably won't until I actually race it. The track day I did in it was more of a "what needs to be done" than a driving hard day.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Are you saying you will be renting your car out still or looking for a car to rent? I know of a slow IT Neon with hot grid girls and windshield cleaners for rent later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post

I've done so much adding up and trying to budget what my car will really cost to run. Like you said though your car is a much better prepared than mine, so my costs would be significantly less, I had $1000 or so in mind for the NASA 8 hour enduro and thought that may be too high for my car, I'm really not sure though and probably won't until I actually race it. The track day I did in it was more of a "what needs to be done" than a driving hard day.

So show us the math here. Are you saying that you think your 'cost' will be $1000 for the NASA 8 hour?

Are you starting with new hubs, pads and rotors? How many tires are you going to go through? New tires or take offs? One spin and they are corded. Extras? Full fluids before AND after a race like that...

Slap your spreadshet up here and we will learn-ya the REAL costs....

And BTW, why are you considering renting? What is the end game?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post

THIS is your key to success!!! Bring scantily clad, flirty hot girls to help work on the car, be friendly to renters, and poof, jackpot - there you have it.
    Fixored. FlatOut should read this.
    hahahaha
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Oh come on, that was so implied.

Playboy Rentals.....
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

my rule of thumb. i am bringing the car and taking care that its properly prepared. i am hauling it to the race track. i am providing whatever personel to do a given event.
    i am responsible that the car be properly teched and legal.

with that in mind it seems fair to ask the other driver(s) to pay for the actual usage expenses. the consumables(tires, brakes, fuel) and the entry fees. i am still the one taking on the costs of all the wear and tear on the equipment in the end.

this is assuming I am driving. doesnt that seem fair?

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion