Thread: What type of RV?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I just made the same move. I had a 26 foot enclosed and was pulling a total of about 9,000 lbs. Sold the enclosed and bought an open 16 foot trailer with a tire rack and storage box. Then bought a 1995 Class A motor home with 55K miles for $9400 (not a misprint-insane deals out there). It's in awesome shape and has the banks power pack and transmission controller. Ford 460 EFI and 4 speed. Things I added were new tires and I had the frame reinforced and a 10,000 hitch installed plus the brake controller. Had a trucking repair shop do an total inspection of the unit - has a new trans and new brakes - nice bonus.

Total cost for this setup:

MH $9400
    Trailer $1700
    Tires $1000
    Hitch etc $1400

Total $13,500

Got $7750 for the enclosed so total cash out was $5750

Moving to a motor home will make chilling at the track way more fun - especially in bad weather. Park the race car under the massive MH awning. Don't need the enclosed because the MH has plenty of basement storage and I have storage and the tire rack. My only worry is toungue weight on the rear tires - I will be at the max. Already weighed the MH and trailer at some truck stop scales. If I see abnormally high temps on the rear tires I will buy a trailer toad which is a mini trailer extension off the back of the MH with tires that the trailer attaches to. Those are about $2000.

A Class A deisel pusher is really the way to go but beware of the $10K deisel. You will have to spend about $20-25K to find a deisel that will not be a mess and even that is a Walmart price.

If you keep the enclosed - you really have to go deisel to be safe.

Last edited by benspeed; 02-23-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion