Thread: Please help me understand the Audi issue...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Then it seems to be pretty close to properly spec'd @2490, doesn't it? Maybe your magic formula works with the right information, eh?!!
    As an aside-regarding my comments about the A2/101hp and so forth: when I built my A2 I KNEW I was building an underdog, but I did it anyway because it was easy for me to do and I could adapt it for the hand controls I needed. I knew I was not going to be as competitive as I had been in my Volvo, but that it would be a suitable anvil, and so it was. (God bless the Pimple, RIP!)
    I still think the Golf 2 is classed a little heavy. Maybe, if all this confusion gets settled, and some common sense prevails about power/weight issues, it will loose some weight.
    Many people seem to think that LEGAL IT engine prep yields major power increases. I don't think so. Not many IT motors get the benefit of quality engine dyno time, but the 142E motors did, and for years. I spent a lot of time with Griff running them on his Stuksa brake. He has a fairly ideal dynamometer bay, and I'll certify that Harvey Stucksa (or whoever replaced him) gets his load cell and recalibrates it regularly. And Bob certainly knows his way around race motors. Despite all the efforts put into the B20E unit (at least before the open ECU), despite countless header changes/collector designs. near zero leakdown, etc, the best we ever saw out of the (130hp stock)motor was 149hp. 15%!
    And as stated earlier, chassis and hub dynos are notoriously variable, as if the dyno makers were in their own horsepower war.
    That the 1442E doesn't have a large increase to IT mods is understandable-it's pretty good to start with and breathes well stock. Still, I think the multiplier you choose are a little optimistic. But if you apply them across the board, they wash each other out and you just need a little dither to account for those that benefit more from IT prep and those that don't.
    Sounds like a solvable problem!
    phil hunt

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs View Post
    Despite all the efforts put into the B20E unit (at least before the open ECU), despite countless header changes/collector designs. near zero leakdown, etc, the best we ever saw out of the (130hp stock)motor was 149hp. 15%!
    Phil - I have to respectfully disagree with your math... well actually, not your math... but your assumption of stock horsepower. The Volvo 130 hp rating was SAE Gross, evidenced by the fact that the exact same engine was rated at 124 hp DIN in Europe. And it was the exact same engine, as there were no differences at that time (1971) between US and European powerplants coming off the Volvo line. I have some calculations/cross-references somewhere to back this up, can't find them ATM... but I believe the stock '71 Volvo B20E was in fact a 120 hp engine SAE Net. This would put your 149 hp dyno number in the neighborhood of a more typical 24% increase over stock.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael