View Poll Results: IT Fest attendance

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, even if I wreck my car, I'll borrow another

10 10.75%
  • Absolutely, unless I wreck the car.

29 31.18%
  • Planning on it, unless money or work get in the way.

23 24.73%
  • I want to, but I have to see about money..I'm 50/50.

10 10.75%
  • A possibility if the wife and budget allow. 25% chance you'll see me.

11 11.83%
  • Slim to none

10 10.75%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: So, who's goin'?

Your welcome.

On the subject of split starts. I am working on this subject primarily for the ITB/ITS group only correct?

Todd

I am sure that some ITA guys would like to rid themselves of the IT7 cars, but honestly, most ITA cars motor on the 7s down the straights, so my take is that it isn't an issue....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I am sure that some ITA guys would like to rid themselves of the IT7 cars, but honestly, most ITA cars motor on the 7s down the straights, so my take is that it isn't an issue....

I have no problems with the IT7s, as long as they don't catch on fire........

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I believe that we need a split start with the American ITA cars out front.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit07 View Post
    I believe that we need a split start with the American ITA cars out front.
    Hell, dude, I think you and Jeff Lawton have a damn good chance of starting in front of the IT-7 cars even WITHOUT a split-start...

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    I have no problems with the IT7s, as long as they don't catch on fire........

Um, Jeffy, get your car with 30 HP more in FRONT of the old live axle jap in the box, and you won't have that issue!

backatcha
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Um, Jeffy, get your car with 30 HP more in FRONT of the old live axle jap in the box, and you won't have that issue!

backatcha
    I think what Jeff meant to say was, "I have no problem with IT7 cars as long as they are not on fire while I am lapping them."
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

The best solution is to out qualify said car
    Chris, I normally would agree with you on what you've said in regards to spilt starts. At any other track I've raced at thus far, I've never seen a real need to incorporate split starts although certainly do see a benefit (I mean experienced what the negative consequences) at the ARRC. When running Mid Ohio with the chicane, I found there to be only a few places that are good passing zones especially when trying to take on a higher HP car. The front and back straights are all in favor of the higher ITS car. Now maybe if we don't use the chicance, it would give me a chance to out brake an ITS car.

The issue even if an ITB car out qualifies and ITS car is the at the start, the ITS car should have the advantage on that straight, then again on the long back straight. We (ITB cars) make a lot of our lap times on other areas of the track where its not possible to pass, or at least not possible without taking a big risk.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Multi-class racing means we have to deal with, uh... multiple classes.

I don't care and personally think split starts are kind of silly.

K

Keep in mind were talking a sprint race K. I really don't care much either way as we're all facing the same obstacles.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Keep in mind were talking a sprint race K. I really don't care much either way as we're all facing the same obstacles.
    ...as long as you're facing the same direction...
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

So Gregg, you headed South in the next month? The first cold one is on me.

Isn't it great to be talking about all of the fun we are going to be having at this early date? I hope you are still planning to be there.
    Dave Burchfield
    GLDiv ITS #74
    Mazda RX-7(the one Kirk parked on the tire wall at Seattle)
    (or so I am told)

In regards to the ITB, ITS split start. I have talked through the options with our Chief Steward and have come up with the following solution.

When you check in at Mid Ohio in August all ITB and ITS drivers will be handed a ballot to vote ( YES) or ( NO ) on a split start. A majority of the vote ( one way or the other) will decide how the race starts will be conducted. The chief steward will announce the results on Saturday morning before lunch.

I know that may not sit well with some but its the best compromise I can come up with. Besides I doubt many drivers are going to be against a split start anyhow. But the Chief Steward wants to make sure all the drivers involved get a voice in the decision.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    In regards to the ITB, ITS split start. I have talked through the options with our Chief Steward and have come up with the following solution.

When you check in at Mid Ohio in August all ITB and ITS drivers will be handed a ballot to vote ( YES) or ( NO ) on a split start. A majority of the vote ( one way or the other) will decide how the race starts will be conducted. The chief steward will announce the results on Saturday morning before lunch.

I know that may not sit well with some but its the best compromise I can come up with. Besides I doubt many drivers are going to be against a split start anyhow. But the Chief Steward wants to make sure all the drivers involved get a voice in the decision.

Todd
    Todd, if you feel that hardly any drivers will be against the split start they why add to the confusion of the weekend? IMO just do the spilt start that way everyone will know what is happening even before they get to the track. A split start should have no adverse effects what so ever with these 2 race groups.
    "Just Do It"

Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post

Todd
    Could you add "Don't Care" to those choices?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Well, I'm not affected, but, I can't see anyone complaining that the opinion of the majority will be considered. Sounds fair to me.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Todd-

Thanks for the hard work, this seems like a fair option. I wont let this be a deciding factor anymore as I think you have done a great job at coming up with a solution. For us it will now simply depend on the checkbook status, we will probably register but I can't gurantee anything as unfortunatly we are growing up and starting to buy houses and and other stuff that seems to take away the extra $$$...

Raymond "Thanks again" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Multi-class racing means we have to deal with, uh... multiple classes.

I don't care and personally think split starts are kind of silly.

K
    My thoughts, having done the ARRC with split starts and without:

- A championship style event should do whatever it can to get cars in the same class competing MOSTLY against cars in the same class. While there isn't nearly enough time to get each class its own run group, split starts do help.

- At the '05 ARRC we didn't get a split start in ITB/ITC, and there was a big shmozzle (sp?) between some front ITC cars and ITB cars on lap one. It was a matter of everyone getting bunched together and trying to use different class cars as picks against the cars in their own class. Split starts help eliminate that scenario.

- At the '04 ARRC we had an ITB/ITC split start with C starting about 30 seconds behind B. The start was completely clean for both classes, and by the time the fast C cars started mingling with the slow B cars and the fast B cars started mingling with the slow C cars everything had strung out a bit and passing was much easier with FAR less contact.

- A split start actually allows the top qualifiers of the slower class to do a real start. They get to take the green as a race group instead of being all spread out from the middle to back of a faster group of cars. When I was in ITC that was a BIG DEAL for us at the ARRC split starts because it was the only time we ever got to actually sit on a front row.
    Again, a nice feature for an event that wants to niche itself as a big deal "championship" type of race.

You can go ahead and count my yes vote now.

Scott Giles
    22 ITB
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    My thoughts, having done the ARRC with split starts and without:

..., and by the time the fast C cars started mingling with the slow B cars and the fast B cars started mingling with the slow C cars everything had strung out a bit and passing was much easier with FAR less contact.
    And one other thing that isn't obvious...

When a driver in a car in the faster class has a car from a slower class catch up...after starting 30 seconds back, it makes an impression in the faster class drivers mind...and he lets the slower car get by with less fighting. That's not the case when the cars start together...it's never pounded into the faster class guys head that he's actually slow. We drivers sometimes need it spelled out for us! Egos, and all that...
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region