Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Broring
Bill, the ITB/ITS mix works well at many tracks. If ITS runs away from ITB it works out great. However last time it was done at Summit it was very frustrating to the ITB drivers due to constant interaction between the groups. I looked at MARRS 5 results from this year and over half the ITS field is running ITB lap times. Maybe those guys will speed up a few seconds by next race and stay away from the ITB front runners. I guess we will find out.
In all fairness (and coming from one of the ITA drivers who was bitching about ITS drivers last year), I don't think this is about lap times. Yes, half the ITS cars at M5 were running ITB times, but half the ITS field = 4 cars. If you look at the MARRS 4 results you'll see that fully half of the IT7 cars were running lap times at or below the ITB leader's times - a total of 3 cars. Over half of the IT7 field finished behind the 2 ITB leaders - 4 cars. Have there been cries to get those IT7 cars out of the group?

The real issue IMO is some of the ITS driver's attitudes; there is no excuse for a 4th, 5th, or lower place car in an 8 car field to be racing the leaders in the "slower" class. I may be wrong, but I don't get the sense that the ITS drivers are as close knit a group as we have in ITA or ITB, and so there might not be the sort of peer pressure you would hope for. Maybe a 'come to Jesus' meeting with the DR and a few stewards would help...who knows. I hope this move doesn't end up screwing up the ITB class too. IMO those drivers who are talking about quitting MARRS because of this move - before they even run one event - should take a reality check. Unless you race in SM or SSM you're going to have to deal with other classes.

As far as the split starts; I was under the impression that any group who felt it was necessary could request a split start this year and it would almost always be granted. Is that not the case?