Thread: January Fastrack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So, if we can stipulate that for the purposes of this discussion, the substance of the standard matters, on to Part B of my line of questioning:

If another "certification" process applied exactly the same performance standard (Item 1 in my list above) - arguably the most important substance of the "standard" - but wrapped it in a different management structure and leaving out the architecture requirement, where would that leave us?

Completely theoretical of course...

K

Based on the post over on RRAX, where a BoD guy is quoted as saying that the two year implementation delay is partly to allow time for standards to be modified, or for other standard bodies to be created (paraphrasing), I'd say that would be a very very good direction.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Another good thought.

Kirk, unfortunately, I think what that would result in is SCCA in court having to prove that one certification is better than another.

The fact that SFI is a de facto "industry standard" causes SCCA a lot of problems that are very difficult for them to get around.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    So, if we can stipulate that for the purposes of this discussion, the substance of the standard matters, on to Part B of my line of questioning:

If another "certification" process applied exactly the same performance standard (Item 1 in my list above) - arguably the most important substance of the "standard" - but wrapped it in a different management structure and leaving out the architecture requirement, where would that leave us?

Completely theoretical of course...

K
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Just get the HANS and put this to bed.

We are stuck with it. I also understand that HANS is the only FIA approved system.

If FIA has another choice that would be a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    Just get the HANS and put this to bed.

We are stuck with it. I also understand that HANS is the only FIA approved system.

If FIA has another choice that would be a consideration.
    HANS isn't the only option, R3 and DeFender come to mind, although I'm not sure what the status of the DeFender legal issues are. Speaking of other options, has anyone heard from Greg?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Another good thought.

Kirk, unfortunately, I think what that would result in is SCCA in court having to prove that one certification is better than another.

The fact that SFI is a de facto "industry standard" causes SCCA a lot of problems that are very difficult for them to get around.
    So, Part C - What if the most important aspect of the "standard" - those performance measures - were substantially HIGHER than 38.1, for some alternate option...???

What say ye?

K

In a perfect world? I say, SCCA wins!

In a practical world, I don't want to be the guy having to prove it in court to a jury of 12. That's risky, and costly. So it becomes (right or wrong) cheaper and perceived to be safer to follow the herd.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Why can't I just sign a release? I'ts my head & neck right....just sayin.

It boils down to "single point release" language. Hans and others have it, Isaacs doesn't: ergo, non compliant. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    It boils down to "single point release" language. Hans and others have it, Isaacs doesn't: ergo, non compliant. Chuck
    It's more complex that that Chuck, the language of the spec is very limiting, obviously to limit competition, and sadly innovation. Much more than the one point of release.

SFI actually has some decent specs, but this one is just awful
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com