Thread: 99-03 Golf is now in ITB - any thoughts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

>> Or do you class another car knowing it's off by 50 lbs...

Dave - you need to revisit the difference between what "Kirk thinks" and what the "ITAC knows."

My personal position (and I'm allowed to have them distinct from the ITAC) is influenced by my rounding down to make sure folks understand that I'm not pimping my own ride. I'm going to continue to take a conservative view of my own make/model's competitive position because frankly, I don't for one second buy that the we got our ARRC win because of 50 pounds. Or 100 pounds. Or whatever you think should be added to the MkIII. And I think perceptions of my role on the ITAC are more important than whatever minuscule advantage a few less pounds might get me.

ITAC members don't really have the luxury of being able to lobby for their personal interests, like some folks spend a lot of effort doing.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    >> ITAC members don't really have the luxury of being able to lobby for their personal interests, like some folks spend a lot of effort doing.

K

Ahmen brother. As the song says, "shut up and drive!!"

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

>> So they just took turns throwing darts to see which class & weight cars got classed in?

Prior to the Miller Ratio idea (c.2000) and Darin taking the first draft of the "Process" to the board, prior to the Great Realignment, you only WISH it was that repeatable. IT History Quiz: What year did the 2-liter Nissan NX finally find its way out of ITS? We need to remember that it was not long ago at all, that things were well and truly f'd up.

K

Heck the Rabbit GTI started life as an ITA car. That is how much the classing process has changed over the years.

One comment on all the hp numbers that keep getting bantered about on this board. Whp numbers car vary widely using the same car on the same brand machine, heck even the same machine - due to the variables involved - even when applying a correction factor. Yet they are often tossed out as gospel.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

That is indeed another factor, Chris - performance creep. (That's different than rules creep.) This happens in all of our classes as a sort of natural selection as drivers tend to choose cars that are marginally faster. The imaginary "index" of performance rises.

To suggest that the classing process has changed over the years suggests that there used to be one process, and now there's another. In fact, there have been perhaps dozens of ad hoc processes applied (as opposed to Ad Hoc Committee) over the years.

K