Thread: Make Head and Neck Restraints Mandatory?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Hi Greg. Thanks for the HNR info. Don't know how much a HNR would have protected this driver but it definately would have helped.
    And unfortunately that "understanding" is why some of us are trying to make sure 38.1 is NOT mandated.

Yes, that was ugly with LOTS of neck movement.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    And unfortunately that "understanding" is why some of us are trying to make sure 38.1 is NOT mandated.
    In fact, Bruce, I was wearing a HANS during my big crash at the Glen last September.

In the video you can see my head move laterally SIGNIFICANTLY, farther than I ever thought it could. My head hit the diagonal rollcage tubing THREE TIMES; that tube is/was so far away from my head that we NEVER thought it would get there, and it was not protected by padding.

I'll have to see if Cameron has those video screen shots hanging out somewhere...

Everyone should get it out of your minds that an SFI H&NR is for lateral movement; it's not. Its primary - I'd even call it exclusive - function is to stop forward momentum of the head/helmet in forward impacts only. If you're worried about lateral movement, you need to be looking at "halo" seats, and the formula guys need to be looking at getting their heads inside the cockpit openings (like they do in Indy, F1, etc. That's why they have those inserts that clip in after the driver ingresses...) - GA

Really good point Greg!! Obviously, he had some fore and aft movement as well, since it was and end over end flip(Steve Saslow, I believe)but your point about the halo seats is well put. You must have experienced a similar side to side motion and it is scary to watch...much less experience!!

Thnaks again for all your relevant imput.

Bruce

Turff protection.................

According to Jayski HANS alleges Innovative Safety makers of the defNder device have infringed on HANS patents for head and neck restraint devices.

“We and our licensees have invested significantly in the invention, innovation and continued development of proprietary head and neck restraint technologies,” said Mark Stiles, Chief Executive Officer of HANS Performance Products. “When others make use of our patented technology, we will always take aggressive action to protect our investment, including the enforcement of our legal rights.”
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

shouldn't of they taken a quicker action? Why wait untill they have a booth @ PRI? I believe this is why they have patent attourneys. Maybe they are worried about the possiblity of this H&N system becoming successfull.. especially with it's initial 500 dollar price tag. So with a possiblity draining the company in both time and money by holding it up in court? Just thinking..

However if there is a legit patent infrigment, then Defnder needs to take responsibility.. and either pay for the use of the patent.. or redesign there system.

I spoke with the rep @ defnder and tired the system on. If was quite comforable..

From what I heard at another vendor a system similiar to the Issac system was used years ago in drag boat racing and are no longer used, but that is just what I heard. I would take that just like I am.. with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by quadzjr; 12-14-2008 at 07:33 PM.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]