Thread: What's the chassis??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Still no.
    As Ford / mazda actually use the same motors in many cases, this is BS. WRX turbo engine in a BRZ OK but in an FRS not? why? Genesis turbo eninge in a Forte (ignoring that its cousin is in the optima)? why or why not? if not, then B17/18 acua motors in hondas should be strictly dissallowed. the line is VERY fuzzy at times. obviously mopar in honda is cut and dry within the same manufacturer swap rules, but I think it demonstrates the extreme view nicely.

and to summarize the original problem - so if the NAME OF THE CAR and the chassis code are the same, part swapping is OK (various civic EGs), but if the chassis codes are the same with different model names (328 and Z3 E36s) then it is not?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    As Ford / mazda actually use the same motors in many cases, this is BS.
    No it's not. It's the same situation that was clarified two Fastracks ago in regard to the Panoz, Lotus, and TVR a few Fastracks ago:

"Vehicles delivered with engines from other manufacturers (e.g. Morgan, Panoz, etc) may only use the originally installed engine, or another engine manufactured by the chassis manufacturer (e.g. Lotus Elise may use the Toyota ZZ engine, or any other Lotus manufactured engine that complies with the class rules, however a Lotus Esprit may not install a Toyota ZZ engine)."

If you want to put any engine into any car and put any body on it, you can do that...in GT. Knock yourself out.

GA

FRS / BRZ type scenario requires additional clarification. it's not a subaru motor in a toyota chassis, it's the same car with different sheetmetal sold under 2 brands. effectively the same as a Rio/accent or mazda6/fusion. so can I use a WRX engine in the FRS?

FRS / BRZ type scenario requires additional clarification. it's not a subaru motor in a toyota chassis, it's the same car with different sheetmetal sold under 2 brands. effectively the same as a Rio/accent or mazda6/fusion. so can I use a WRX engine in the FRS?
    Of course it doesn't need to be "clarified", Chip, it's all there in black and white! Read the rulez, newb...

The Subaru version can run its engine or any Subaru engine; the Toyota version can run its engine or any Toyota engine. If you want to run "any" Toyota engine in that car then guess what: start with the freakin' Toyota version! Or convert the damn Subaru into the damn Toyota version using all the right bits and pieces (no VIN rule...)

Now you're just being difficult...intentionally. Not biting. "Still no".

GA

not being intentionally difficult, I think the rule is wonky at best. tomayto tomahto

not being intentionally difficult, I think the rule is wonky at best. tomayto tomahto
    If we're gonna allow alternate engines - and we want to - there's gotta be some kinda limit. This ain't GT. So short of having to approve and list *each and every allowed engine combo* this is the compromise we have to have, as tomato-ey as it is. And no matter how many ingredients we toss in there, there's gonna be some outliers that don't fit the mold. That sucks, but that's the way it is, and at least you know that in advance of going in.

If you've got some ideas for un-wonking the regs I'm all ears... - GA