Thread: Philosophical question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I agree that publicly outing someone may not be the best way. I understand that everyone HAS to know if THEIR car is legal or not. Their are quite a few people that basically own the car, but arrive and drive. They don't do their own work, don't know how to do their own work and rely on people. Those people may not be as reliable as the driver/owner knows. It may even be more simple than that and someone knows how to do everything except build a motor. They send it off and say I want to top notch legal winning motor. The get a top notch winning motor and there is something a miss that they don't know. Just think back to all the "Pro Built" Spec Miata motors that were torn down and "funny" things were found.

I'm not making an excuse for someones legality. They should be held accountable, but don't publicly out them unless you know it was malicious. Now outing the "company" that built that "legal top notch winning motor"........
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    I agree that publicly outing someone may not be the best way.
    Not a direct attack on you, but I suggest this mindset is a very close cousin to the one where folks are loathe to protest (possibly fear of peer disapproval?)

Cheating is cheating. Intended or not.

We must have a zero tolerance of cheating and hang out the chumps who do it. Any softening of zero tolerance is weak.

My opinion is that nobody cheats because those who do will be villified, ostracized and receive a proctology examination the next time they show up at the track.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    I agree that publicly outing someone may not be the best way. I understand that everyone HAS to know if THEIR car is legal or not. Their are quite a few people that basically own the car, but arrive and drive. They don't do their own work, don't know how to do their own work and rely on people. Those people may not be as reliable as the driver/owner knows. It may even be more simple than that and someone knows how to do everything except build a motor. They send it off and say I want to top notch legal winning motor. The get a top notch winning motor and there is something a miss that they don't know. Just think back to all the "Pro Built" Spec Miata motors that were torn down and "funny" things were found.
    I agree that thing to do in this instance is outting the builder/prep shop. If I pay Solarsuspenders Engines to build an IT legal motor, the official responsibility rests with me, but the moral responsibility rests with them. I'm the one who will be DQ'd and pay the fine.

Outting the guy who thought he had a legal piece of equipment won't serve the community. The poor guy who goes to Solarsuspenders will be left in the dark. The poor guy who bought the sister engine/car to the one that turned out to be illegal is left in the dark (and could face severe punishment if discovered post-race) and everybody who is considering buying from that prep shop is left in the dark.