Thread: Momo Start Seat...out of date?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull113 View Post
    I think if you do some research you'll find the FIA seats are not designed to use a seat back brace and some people think (as I do) it's actually unsafe to use one.
    Steve...any style barcalounger will fit in the Volvo....As for the back brace, I find that 4 cases of beer stacked behind the seat stiffens it(and me) up very well....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
    steve...any style barcalounger will fit in the volvo....as for the back brace, i find that 4 cases of beer stacked behind the seat stiffens it(and me) up very well....lol
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

To follow up on this, I fitted the MOMO Start seat into the car and crawled in to test sit the seat. Danged if I'm not higher than I was before. The MOMO has thicker fiberglass at the bottom and thinner padding on the seating surface that actually has me 1" or so higher. My goal was to get clear of the bars over my head, the MOMO puts me up in the "rafters".

$#@*!

The next plan is to reuse the seat I already had in the car but to remove the padding and try to sink in a bit.

Thanks for the info.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

I ran the Momo Start in a couple of my Miatae, and I'm 6'1". Key was to completely remove the rear seat mounting "pad" on the floor so that the brackets mount directly to the floor, as flush as possible. - GA

Those pads are out, and the seat was sitting flush on the floor with the exception of a block to add some tilt to the seat.

I'll get it worked out. I've been told by some racer friends that comfort isn't that important in a racecar, I disagree.

It's hard to concentrate on your driving when you are trying to keep your head from bouncing off the rollcage.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

Sorry to dig up an ancient thread but I have a Momo start seat. Certification intact FIA-8855-1999 manufactured July 2006. I do NOT want to run this seat with a back brace. Is this seat still legal without a brace?

Quote Originally Posted by mom'sZ View Post
    Sorry to dig up an ancient thread but I have a Momo start seat. Certification intact FIA-8855-1999 manufactured July 2006. I do NOT want to run this seat with a back brace. Is this seat still legal without a brace?
    In SCCA, yes.

In NASA, no.