Thread: Porsche 968 story

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here is a video of the restored 1992 Porsche 968. I'm selling it as I have gutted my other 968 and it's going in for the cage this Friday.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2AvSWY_uU&feature=email[/ame]

I have an agency getting me a NJ title. Anybody curious about buying it shoot me a note. I'm not really going to market it until I have title in hand.

May the spring come soon! I want to smoke y'all with my new ITR car :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Here is a video of the restored 1992 Porsche 968. I'm selling it as I have gutted my other 968 and it's going in for the cage this Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2Av...&feature=email

I have an agency getting me a NJ title. Anybody curious about buying it shoot me a note. I'm not really going to market it until I have title in hand.

May the spring come soon! I want to smoke y'all with my new ITR car :-)
    Keep it. You are gonna need the headlights when I suck the ones from your racecar right out as I whizz past you in my ITA car.

In all seriousness, the engine, tranny, diff, fenders...all worth more to you in parts than what you will get in whole. Spares package bro. Think for a whole season...
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 02-26-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Maybe at Limerock you might get me - man that would suck.

No place else though :-)

I can't keep a perfectly good car for spares - just ain't right! Plus I could use the cash to build the black one allowing me to keep the ITS car also. I got too many cars - gotta sell something.

Scary number of inquiries on this car already - even without a title. Priced too low.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

OK - an update on the black 968 M030 race car project.

First a huge thanks go out to Pete at RSBarn and to Pablo. Pete spent a ton of time advising and providing guidance on what to do with my car to set it up, avoid problems and run reliably. I meet a lot of industry leaders and Pete is a standout in his field - knowledgeable, expert, personable and did I mention expert???

What a great array of 968 cars also - his 968 turbo track car was awesome.

Thanks goes out to Pablo who was the source of many great parts I purchased - sir, I felt like a vulture buying up your spares but rest assured they will go on a top flight car and I play to win - so look for podium finishes. (I also have two sets of A arms and plan on rotating them every few races and will use the larger pins made of the strongest steel I can legally install.)

So aquired for the project was a complete rear suspension setup with 30 mm hollow torsion bars and a great set of Bilsteins. Included was the entire torsion housing assembly with the racers edge hardware - this should be a complete remove and replace for a top flight rear suspension setup.

Complete RS Barn race exhaust and chip, Momo steering wheel with quick release, lightweight battery and box. Also bought new delrin front swaybar bushings and castor blocks.

This car should be a great handling car.

I have the local P shop quoting on replacing the rod bearings, cage install and suspension install - should get a car that is a 8/10ths build just for starters. The car is gutted and at their shop - just wish they could move it along a little faster but they are thankfully very diligent on how they quote. Same diligence with their work.

I am doing my part to help the economy :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

I hope that lightweight battery is the same size as the stock battery. What's the rule on the torsion bar? ;~)

Yep - that battery box will be in the same location as stock and will weigh abosolutely the same as any similarly sized battery......how's that rules lawyering :-)

I have to weigh it to see if I can use it. I really like the box - way safer than the stock battery restraint. So what's the ratio on battery weight that is permissable??? Where's GA?

Rule on the torsion bar - can't run any coil overs - must run the same suspension type as stock - the torsion bars can be any origin. The rear suspension on a 968 is a very costly thing to do right so I really lucked out getting this equipment at 50 cents on the dollar, brand new stuff from a newly built and wrecked 968 that cost $50K to build.

I was disappointed to learn during preliminary research that if your car uses a torsion or leaf setup you cannot change over to coils. The torsion setup is actually very good, but leafs? Nope. The cost of setting up the rear on a 944/968 can get into the $5K range easy and go up. It's a 10 hour job minimum to do the rear torsion bars, re-index and all that fun.

Section 5. b. 3. page page 337 - Springs of any origin may be used, provided they are of leaf, torsion bar, and that they shall be installed in the original location using the original system of attachment. The joining of two or more coil springs by any means is prohibited. The use of tender springs are permitted. Shackles or spacers may be used to adjust leaf spring ride height. Spacers, including threaded units with adjustable spring seats, may be used with coil springs.

Been getting real familiar with that GCR.

Dan - you gotta come on up and run some of the Pro IT series - that's 100% of my focus this year. Hope to have the 968 ready for the Pocono event in May. Definitely we must have a little show down at WGI July 25th. Off chance I may do the Summit race in April in the ITS Mazda which is actually no slouch but not fast enough for the ITR bimmers.

Cheers
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Sounds like fun Ben. If work picks up around here you might see me.

Go gettem Ben!!!!!! Can't wait to see the new beast in May. Even though I race Hondas I do have a special place in my heart for Porsches.
    Last edited by jcmotorsports; 03-21-2009 at 05:23 PM.
    John Costello
    2009 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    2010 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    King Motorsports
    Hoosier Tire
    Chase Cam
    Redline Oil
    YEA YEA YEA......I sold out and now drive an SM and get schooled on a regular basis!

The total build quote is in! Work starts this week. I'm glad I switched shops - savings of $4-5000 and better cage & familiartiy with my car - shop is 100% focused on 944/968 race cars.

This includes a 9.5/10ths suspension: Bilstein front shocks for $1000 not on the build sheet yet and helper springs for the rear - which I learned are legal as they came from the factory with the MO30 option - debate on if those must be the stock springs or not.

Link to the M030 option page - want to make sure no competitors have issues with my build - my car is a M030 model - http://www.weissach.net/968_M030-Option.html

Where is Steve Ulfelder - he will laugh as he had a good chuckle that I'd get it done around $12-13K

Total cost including car is:

$16,500 - this price point leaves very little on the table - all the good stuff is done including rod bearings, cam chain, timing belt etc. Most important - the suspension is the shizzle

Money saved from selling stuff off the donor:

$1700 and climbing

TOTAL damage to date $14,800

Add a set of tires and it's race ready - goal remains Pocono :-) with a couple tests first.

Cheers
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion