Thread: Need Advice/tips - Building an ITA Saturn SC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ah yes, building a car. What a great time of the year to think about it.
    Sitting in your office chair, staring out the window or perhaps lying in bed at night after everyone is asleep.
    You have visions of the car on jackstands in the middle of the garage. All your tools neatly laid out. Boxes of performance parts stacked, ready for install. The tempature is a perfect 68 degrees. The lighting, not a shadow anywhere. Not a speck of dirt, oil, or other contaminents on the floor. The garage stereo plays your favorite songs. Your wife pokes her head in the garage and with a warm smile tells you, "don't worry about dinner, I've ordered a pizza for you. The kids and I will eat at the table. You enjoy yourself. I'll help the kids with their homework and put them to bed after dinner. I love you ." It's a labor of love, every nut's thread matches every bolt.... The wiring is simple, orange to orange, white to white......your hands seem to fit in every crevice of the car and you manage to contort yourself in to unbelievable positions to get under the dash to connect all those gauges that work perfectly right out of the box.....every 20 year old nut and bolt on the car cooperates, amazing! The day you take the car to the cage builder the sun is shining, the trailer lights work perfectly. You driveway is the perfect angle to load the car by yourself with out damaging the front spoiler that, by the way, bolted on perfectly the first time. Blah, blah blah, blah blah.....
    It ain't like that. Well, at least for most of us.
    I've bought 5 cars and built one. Unless I win the lottery and am able to quit my job and buy wife out with vacations and diamonds, I will never build again.
    I should have invested the money in the stock market when it hit 14,000 and sold it when it was down to 6600, I'd have been better off.
    My IT7 car took 3 years to put together and almost $8000. I put a little development time in to it and sold it for $3100 (I hope my wife doesn't visit this site).
    I was told too...but didn't listen.
    Listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about!
    And remember, someone much wiser than myself once told me, "IT DOESN"T COST A DIME TO DREAM!"
    Last edited by ITS5GB; 01-10-2010 at 06:28 PM.
    Greg Blastic
    Lookin' for a new one!
    '86 RX7 ITS w/'89 Drivetrain Sold!
    ITS #5 GSLSE(still goin' strong) Sold!
    IT7 Project( now complete!!) Sold!
    Waterford Hills Regular
    Occasional GLD
    Howell, MI