Thread: Carbon Fiber Body Parts???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Chip's right here. Efrain is just trying to get our help in explaining to people who might not be able to read the English written word, what the rules are.
    So how is reading those rules to someone on the Internet - using written English - going to resolve that...? Are you implying that people on this forum are better at reading the regs to someone than them reading it themselves?

The difference here is not because of gray hair or because of geography or because of language, the difference here is regulated competition versus anarchical, pseudo-competition HPDE/street "racing". I'll wager a dollar to a donut that everyone that has "issues" with the regs came into them with a pre-disposed mindset (e.g., Jeff Lawton with his roundy-round and PCA background; our guys in PR with existing cars).

The IT regs are really not that hard to read. They may be frustrating to someone wanting to race a car with existing specific mods, but I think they're pretty damn well-written, especially if you read them for what they say ('ok, what can I do here?'), not skim them looking for what you want them to say ('OK, I've got CF fenders, where can I do that?'). The issue here is a mindset, not a problem of verbiage. It's a difference of "hey, I built this really awesome car for the street and now I want to take it racing" versus "I want to go racing, what kind of car do I need to build?"

Unless you get to someone early in their participation curve, it's the mindset you need to attack, not the regs or the mods already on the car. And the absolute core of the ITCS mindset is IIDSYCTYC.

Get that in your noggin and everything else falls right into place.

- GA

and I think this forum is doing Efrain's efforts in the PRR a service if we help make that clear to him, so that he might make it clear to them.

I say again, the guys out there don't have the existing culture to help them get into the rules and philosophy. They DO have a bunch of existing cars built around some common themes - SCCA didn't get in there early enough - too busy out in California with GIs and used airstrips, I guess. we have similar stuff on the continent but we also have a long tradition of SCCA and established groups to help attract and coach new people.

They are reading a somewhat anachronistic rulebook with English as a second language. you already understand the IIDSYCYC concept. it's good to point it out. let Efrain carry that back to the rest of the group and see what they come back with. the worst thing we can do as SCCA members is get grumpy with or frustrated by outsiders looking in and asking questions that seem reasonable from their perspective.

86, Look at the Prod rules or maybe the local SPU, and see if that is a better fit. Many old IT cars go to Prod as the rules are much more open.
    If you have a few cars built similar , run them all in one class and have a good time. If one cars kicks ass, just add in 100# and start over.

Some buds run in the DR with glass panels on DOT tires. I can get some rules for that also.
    Feel free to E mail me or call anytime. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    86, Look at the Prod rules or maybe the local SPU, and see if that is a better fit. Many old IT cars go to Prod as the rules are much more open.
    If you have a few cars built similar , run them all in one class and have a good time. If one cars kicks ass, just add in 100# and start over.

Some buds run in the DR with glass panels on DOT tires. I can get some rules for that also.
    Feel free to E mail me or call anytime. MM
    Mike, not to say you are wrong - because you aren't - but they are asking about clarifying SCCA rules, not how to classify cars to race. if they are going to be the SCCA in PR, they are going to race SCCA cars. doing anything else just borrows our organizational principles, licensing, and insurance. and that's fine, but that's not what he's asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    So how is reading those rules to someone on the Internet - using written English - going to resolve that...? Are you implying that people on this forum are better at reading the regs to someone than them reading it themselves?

The difference here is not because of gray hair or because of geography or because of language, the difference here is regulated competition versus anarchical, pseudo-competition HPDE/street "racing". I'll wager a dollar to a donut that everyone that has "issues" with the regs came into them with a pre-disposed mindset (e.g., Jeff Lawton with his roundy-round and PCA background; our guys in PR with existing cars).

The IT regs are really not that hard to read. They may be frustrating to someone wanting to race a car with existing specific mods, but I think they're pretty damn well-written, especially if you read them for what they say ('ok, what can I do here?'), not skim them looking for what you want them to say ('OK, I've got CF fenders, where can I do that?'). The issue here is a mindset, not a problem of verbiage. It's a difference of "hey, I built this really awesome car for the street and now I want to take it racing" versus "I want to go racing, what kind of car do I need to build?"

Unless you get to someone early in their participation curve, it's the mindset you need to attack, not the regs or the mods already on the car. And the absolute core of the ITCS mindset is IIDSYCTYC.

Get that in your noggin and everything else falls right into place.

- GA

Says the guy with gray hair.................
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Says the guy with gray hair.................
    Totally agree with Greg. The ITCS is short and can be read in 20 minutes. It's easy to understand. If it says you can do it, do it. If it is silent, you can't. Read the ITCS once a week for a few weeks and you'll see the structure and ideas will start to come to you.

Come here and ask questions once you have a basic understanding of what is in the ITCS.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8