Thread: ITS Ford Mustang(s) Build - Stripper Stang Part II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

15 pounds for those wheels is not bad at all. I want to think the stock wheels on the Golf were about 19, and they were a 14x6.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    15 pounds for those wheels is not bad at all. I want to think the stock wheels on the Golf were about 19, and they were a 14x6.

K
    No, not bad at all. And they are the 5 on 4.5" (114.3mm) bolt pattern that fits RX7s too. I read something about some RX7s guys use them for rains also.

VW 14x6s at 19 lbs seem really stout. VW equipping you for some off road excursions?

Even if you are right Josh there is a fair amount that can come out. there is language about ignition, emissions and gauges that gives you some room. I was amused by the wording on dome lights, I think it says operating mechanisms.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Good news - the wiring parse worked fine and the car functions as normal. There were a few hiccups along the way but it cleaned up nicely and is working as it should.

I also did some poking around in the front of the car and removed everything forward of the wheel wells. Not too interesting up there, but I did notice the bumpers are of good design and not overly heavy. They are essentially rectangular tubes, maybe 0.060" thickness, and the inside is filed with a molded piece of foam. In front of that is a foam piece that is the shape of the bumper and give shape/support to the bumper cover. Definitely much more robust than the old Z setup, and infinitely more available with respect to parts.

...which is good because, you know, a Mustang in ITS is going to turn the class into a smash-up derby.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    ...which is good because, you know, a Mustang in ITS is going to turn the class into a smash-up derby.
    K
    In light of the recent destruction at CMS it is like that now.

Just throwing it out there, but if the harness isn't worth it's weight in gold and you have male and female connectors, you may find it worth your while to keep it and use it for other things..
    all of my gauges are electronic. I modified the OE radio harness with all of the gauge wiring. Power to the gauges comes through the old radio power and ground wires, then all of the sensor wires are plugged into the connections for the antenna and speaker wires.

I molested the dash harness and was able to move the wipers and headlights down to the center console as well and used a DPDT switch for the high/low beams.

Now, when I need to remove my center panel, I just unplug the OE radio, headlight, and wiper plugs and all the electricals are out. I just wish the fire bottle and brake bias knob had quick disconnects!
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 09-09-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Need brake cooling ducts by chance?