Thread: proper starting etiquette

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I feel I'm "average" on starts. I do try to stay glued on the bumper in front of me, but I don't play games with guessing flags and all that crap. I wood it when I see green or I've detected that everyone (not just one car) else is nailing it too. And I damn sure won't put two off in the grass to pass no matter how much faster I am than the folks in front of me. I'll use my brakes to check up, not the car in front of me, if I do need to choke up on a start.

I'm protective on the first few corners and would rather give ground than bend metal. Seems to me the risk of bending metal and getting punted off track is worth less than giving up a position. Especially if the give is to a car out of class. Sometimes that give screws me if I get say a IT7 car between me and another ITS car, but I still feel it better than getting a punt.

Etiquette is a learned behavior and some people are flat out not going to learn it. Those folks you simply remember and make mental notes when having a look at the grid sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I do try to stay glued on the bumper in front of me, but I don't play games with guessing flags and all that crap. I wood it when I see green or I've detected that everyone (not just one car) else is nailing it too. And I damn sure won't put two off in the grass to pass no matter how much faster I am than the folks in front of me. I'll use my brakes to check up, not the car in front of me, if I do need to choke up on a start.

I'm protective on the first few corners and would rather give ground than bend metal. Seems to me the risk of bending metal and getting punted off track is worth less than giving up a position.
    ^ What he said.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

The question to ask is "What would happen if everyone did what I am doing?" If you don't like the answer then you shouldn't be doing it.

Just because it works out ok for you (most of the time) doesn't make it right.

edit: I mean this in terms of "pushing" the rules and taking advantage of other people who are actually following the intent of the rules. Not in terms of picking the correct thing to do and making good and correct decisions.
    Last edited by jumbojimbo; 05-13-2009 at 01:19 PM.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

I have almost always gained positions on a start at almost every race I have run. If I don't gain at least 1 position between the drop of the green and TURN 2 then I would consider it a poor start. I drive in ITB usually in the top 3 with ITS cars which accelerate faster than any ITB car... even the slower ITS cars have more HP! You simply CANNOT hang back and try to "anticipate" a green flag. That is like running up behind someone one you dislike and sucker punching them without them even knowing. We are all in this together and if you feel that "hanging back" and JUMPING the start is the only way you can do good at starting than re-think what you are doing and how you are doing it. I agree that stepping on that gas just as the green drops is great but intentionally trying to get a run on the field is dishonest and a "sucker punch" on the rest of your competitors. I would 100% agree that if you fall out of line you are considered in violation. Falling out of line is both popping out AND falling out of your Row. Even if your on the last Row anything more than 2 car lenghts back is really pushing what I wuld consider falling out of your Row.

Remember what I said in the begining a start is WAY more than getting to the first turn. It's all about your position coming out of the second turn that matters. Plan ahead and see what is happening up several rows... the accordian effect usually has it's greatest effect going into and through the first turn. think of it like a tollbooth. the fastlane usually has a longer line but it is much faster and your going to end up way ahead... or maybe that lane way way on the outside only has 1 car so even if you have to stop and pay you just passed everyone because no one is using it, but when you do this you take the chance that the person in front crashes and doesn't have the proper change and they need a damn receipt so they can write of 75 cents on their taxes!

Have fun and play fair. No sucker punches.
    Stephen