Thread: Lightweight Racing Wheels - Where's the hot source?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I bought some very expensive Kodiak rims about a year ago - 16 x 8.5. Maybe 16-17 pounds. This weekend at NJMP I noticed some scratches. On further looking they were cracks in the spokes. Dismounted all wheels and all had stress cracks with some cracked all the way through the spoke.

I'm contacting Kodiak today. These guys also are the new owners of Fikse wheels. Hope they stand behind their product. These wheels have maybe 20 weekends on them tops. $600 per wheel!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I run a pretty significant offset (I think it was 37 mm) -- a big change from stock -- with the spacers.

My guess is there is no noticeable difference in track, or if there is it is minimal.

You are to the point with that car that 8 lbs matters. I'd spend the coin on the lightest wheels you can find, at least one set. I have two sets of Volks and two sets of much cheaper ProRace 2s. I can't tell a damn bit of difference when driving, but there is a 10 lb difference on the scales.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I bought some very expensive Kodiak rims about a year ago - 16 x 8.5. Maybe 16-17 pounds. $600 per wheel!
    That is serious coin. I hope you can get some relief from them on the wheels but I suspect not. Most of these outfits indicate racing use is completely uncovered for repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post

You are to the point with that car that 8 lbs matters. I'd spend the coin on the lightest wheels you can find, at least one set. I have two sets of Volks and two sets of much cheaper ProRace 2s. I can't tell a damn bit of difference when driving, but there is a 10 lb difference on the scales.
    I'm going to suck it up and get light forged wheels. What are Prorace 2s? All your wheels look the same to me, just different shades of color.