Thread: National Class

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

T allows a bunch of things that are not allowed in SS. The most significant ones would be shocks/struts and diffs.

This proposal was shot down by the membership (and loudly) 3 years ago, due to, among other things, the perceived costs of the allowed mods.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Meanwhile SSB and SSC are way struggling with car counts. I can totally see how the current SSC guys are arguing against it though. That truly is "rules creep" in that you'd need to drop $5k to keep your car competitive. Oh well.

But Josh nailed it, you don't have to drive a stock suspensioned race car, which in my mind, was fun, but for a few laps, and then sucked
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Hoppe leaning towards SM................watch it that's what happened to Tiger, he leaned that direction and got hooked on it! Hoppe you would be my favorite SE SM driver, the shitstorm you would keep stirred up would be worth the price of admission! Please give it serious consideration. You in there raising a storm with those guys from Florida and at RAtlanta, it is upthere on my list with a sequel for "THE HANGOVER".
    Do IT!
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Tom
    Read the 2010 SSB rules for Miatas.
    It's an SM car with no restrictor, open tires and less weight.
    but, shhhhh don't tell anyone!
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    T allows a bunch of things that are not allowed in SS. The most significant ones would be shocks/struts and diffs.

This proposal was shot down by the membership (and loudly) 3 years ago, due to, among other things, the perceived costs of the allowed mods.
    Actually Josh, it was shot down by the mfg's. They threatened to pull support for racers running their cars if the SCCA turned SSB and SSC into T4 and T5. There was a letter circulating that was signed by several of the mfg reps that pretty much stated that (I may still have a copy of it somewhere). The CRB pulled the recommendation.

That was actually a slightly different proposal. The first time around it was just to turn SSB/SSC into T4/T5 as was mentioned here, and the SS drivers couldn't stomach the costs. But the one the manufacter's responded to also included merging SSB into T3 with some slower cars going to T4 with SSC. The manufacturers nixed that with excuses like "We don't want our MX-5 competing against our RX-8."

EDIT: Upon reflection, I think it was all at once. It was primarily the SSC drivers that didn't want the T allowances, and the manufacturers that didn't want SSB and T3 to be combined.
    Last edited by JoshS; 02-09-2010 at 01:55 AM.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Josh, My memory on all the details is a bit fuzzy. I believe that you are correct. They were going to move some of the SSB cars into T3, and the rest of them, along w/ the SSC cars were going to be called T4. I don't think there was a T5 in the mix. Bottom line though, the mfg's definitely scuttled the idea. And they obviously swung a big enough stick that it made the CRB pull the proposal.