Quote Originally Posted by TomL View Post
I think RX555 may be onto the answer. If your fuel pickup is toward the right side of the cell/tank, the long run through Turn 7 may be uncovering the pickup and emptying the float bowl enough that the engine dies just after you get onto the straight (which would occur somewhere near start/finish). Then, once you're going straight for a bit, the fuel pump catches up and the engine runs normal again.

By the way, you mention running up to 8500 rpm. Where are you doing that, and what gear and final drive? I don't quite hit 8000 in 5th, even with a 5.12 rear, and I was going faster on the front straight than you last weekend.

On the coils question, I've used both MSD Blaster2 and stock coils, and I've never had a problem with either.
Will try to get a better look at the fuel pickup. Stuff in the fuel cell did get moved around during the "incedent" on Saturday. But it seemed like it was happening about midway down the straight, though I had not considered there being a lag.

Yes, you were faster than me on the straight. Every IT7 car there was faster than me on the straight, and I was routinely at 8k+ in 5th on the straight. We counted 2.5 driveshaft revs for one wheel rev (open differential). I know I was slow all the way around the track but when you get passed when you're already at "top speed" (I know I was passed by you, Steve Rose, and the Hines car when I was in 5th and feathering the throttle around 8500).

Part of the answer there I think is tires... we are running 45profile R888's. I know Steve was running a taller profile (60 maybe?) RA1.