Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New England Region IT EZ

Default New England Region IT EZ

New England Region Club Racing is adding a new class for regional racing in 2014.
    2014 New England Region Rules
    Improved Touring – EZ
    The purpose of IT‐EZ is to create a regional class where cars built for ChumpCar or Lemons racing, or for cars that could be ITE legal but do not belong in the fast race group, to have a place to race on an SCCA Regional race weekend. As opposed to any other class of SCCA road racing, IT‐EZ competition is designed as a “fun run” class, without any promise of intent of performance equitability. IT‐EZ is designed to provide a way for drivers to earn an SCCA racing license and race in regional competition, with the absolute lowest cost vehicle. In no way will any waivers be considered or granted in areas regarding safety of vehicle or driver.
    IT‐EZ vehicles may race with prior accident damage, as long as that prior damage does not create a danger to the driver of that vehicle or fellow competitors.
    Non‐functional additions to vehicles, whose primary purpose is to express creativity, theme, are allowed only if do not create a potential safety hazard to the driver or fellow competitors
    IT‐EZ eligible vehicles
    Must be a “mass produced,” gas or diesel powered, four wheel passenger car.
    Minimum weight of 1800 pounds and a maximum weight of 4000 pounds and a production‐based engine.
    Tires must conform to applicable Improved Touring rules, i.e., must be DOT rated tires, and sizes must be consistent with allowable dimensions per the GCR. 190 wear‐dated tires are not mandated, but they may be used if the racer prefers.
    Preparation regarding brakes, suspension, and engine must meet either Chumpcar rules or SCCA Improved Touring rules
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

And what group are these rolling shit boxes going to be running in?
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Default hopefully, yours...

Your rapier witted posts will be "publishers quality"
    phil hunt

Just in the interest of consistency, it might be good to look at what they are doing with the enduro rules in New Jersey to include LeChump cars. A good idea.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    And what group are these rolling shit boxes going to be running in?

Wow Ed, judgmental much.

Last I heard the group was SSM,SM2, STU, STL, ITC,ITEZ but that is subject to change. We also are trying to design this class so the stewards have some discretion as to where they fit best. We started talking about a second IT catch all class because there are a few cars out there that are really not right for the normal IT classes but are too slow of ITE. This progressed into making a home for some of the crap can or lemons guys who want to try our style of racing. There are some talented drivers and some good cars in those series and I think it would be good for us to give them an opportunity to race with us.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Just in the interest of consistency, it might be good to look at what they are doing with the enduro rules in New Jersey to include LeChump cars. A good idea.

K
    well yes someday maybe but they have too many classes (3 I think) for us right now. if this catches on and we need to set competition levels that would be a logical place to start.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Rules from NJRRS site. (No Animal House themes )

The purpose of these LeChump rules is to create an opportunity for cars built for ChumpCar World Series (ChumpCar) or the 24 Hours of LeMons (LeMons) to compete safely in SCCA regional races. They are intended to provide low-pressure classes without the necessity of extensive modifications to existing cars. Multiple classes are provided to foster competition, however, there is no guarantee that any specific make, model or car will be competitive.

All drivers must fully conform to SCCA driver licensing requirements. Prior LeChump racing experience may be considered for SCCA licensing but automatic license exchange is not guaranteed or contemplated. Each situation is considered on its individual merits. All driver safety gear must comply with the GCR requirements.

On my note - I attended 2 Lemons races earlier this year, at NJMP and NHMS. Quite a variety of cars and talent. But some would fit into IT without any problem.
    Last edited by dtanthon; 12-16-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

Dick

I like the idea and LOVE the class name.

Our LeMons "shitbox" runs ITB times on street tires and could run competitive ITA times with Hoosiers. And this car started its race career as a SCCA ITC car.

Others mileage and speed would vary.

Tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

great scott!!
    Good start Dick.

Please use 180 as the tread wear rule.
    That is the standard for the SCCA PNW ITJ. , CC- lemons, the new World Racing League and many others. Keep the horse in the barn.
    I would add that any tire designed to circumvent the 180 street tire "aura", will be excluded.
    Lets Keep "those cars" on the slow tires, please.
    The last thing I want to see is my 210Hp, 1800#,TurboJett,(shitbox) rolling on purple crack. It makes 1.5+ G on Hoes.

Pretty sure that is not what we want.
    Yeah we want to be grouped in whatever group that ed is in,,
    MM
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 12-16-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Instead of IT-EZ on the door, we could install TP dispensers in the side of the door.....

I want to take our LeMons car to one of these events just to run faster than some of the others "regular" cars.

gennus.. A few wraps around my open main hoop..
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I am thinking of something like this

http://www.periodbath.com/pdshop/sho...px?itemid=2713

How many wraps of TP to meet SFI impact protection?

Seriously, Dick, any program like this to get racers into scca is a step in the right direction.

Just not interested in having some of the oh-so-unique "decoration" falling off in front of me.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

This is fantastic news! Working on getting three people signed up for the school in April... Not ure they will do it but I am going to hound them!

I do agree with the street tire rule though... It's what they use now, keep it that way before it is to late!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    well yes someday maybe but they have too many classes (3 I think) for us right now. if this catches on and we need to set competition levels that would be a logical place to start.
    Makes the rules process even easier:

"All entries in NER's 'IT EZ' class will conform to rules published for any one of the Jersey Racing Board's LCC1, LCC2, or LCC3 classes, as published in 'LeChump Regional Classes - Rules and Specifications' dated 9/13/13."

Soup.

I recommend that you give a hard think about what will happen when an idea like this is successful and future-proof it to the greatest extent possible right out of the gate. We know what the rules are intended to accomplish but there is absolutely nothing preventing some enterprising nutjob - like we have lots of here - from optimizing a car to a set of extremely loose rules.

Or you end up with a bunch of cars wanting to run next year, people start agitating for separate classes, but everyone has their own tweak that they want incorporated in the plan. You could just wave the wand and have three classes without upsetting anyone with changes.

Regardless, that's details. It's still a good idea.

K

tom-.......I'm in. Lets load the trailer and doit

I agree with K but think this is great. Also think now would be the time for street tires. Why not?

Thanks for getting this going Dick and others who may have been involved.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    Just not interested in having some of the oh-so-unique "decoration" falling off in front of me.
    most if not all of them can be "de-themed" to run in the EZ class, I see no need to keep the 30lbs of paper mache dog crap duct taped to the top of a car for an SCCA weekend... and Ed's complaint is the biggest one i hear from the "regulars" Lechump guys are people too and most have a semblance of common sense.
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

Quote Originally Posted by georgethefierce View Post
    most if not all of them can be "de-themed" to run in the EZ class...
    Note a sentence in Dick's original post:

Non‐functional additions to vehicles, whose primary purpose is to express creativity, theme, are allowed only if do not create a potential safety hazard to the driver or fellow competitors.
    There's a lot of subjectivity in that statement, and a lot of flexibility for the stewards (and Tech). I won't issue a logbook to a car that appears to have something that can create a safety hazard, and I'm sure the stewards will ask competitors to simply unscrew the Lowe's sheet metal screws and remove the chicken head.

Open the mind, let's give it a shot. We have the administrative ability to say "no"; let's start with "yes" and see how it goes.

- GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Open the mind, let's give it a shot. We have the administrative ability to say "no"; let's start with "yes" and see how it goes.

- GA
    I agree with what greg said above.

I can see why people like the idea of the NJ classing but I can also see why we wouldn't do that. The class is called EZ so lets make it EZ for anyone to do it without worrying about to many rules to follow. If it works out then just add in those other classes and eventually eliminate this class... if it is what the competitors decide they want. for know EZ button is my opinion!