Thread: School's Out Regional - LRP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by dominojd View Post
    ....Oh how I wish was out there on rains to make him work a little.
    What would you have done? Be another moving schicane for Andy to lap!

Nice job to the A and IT7 group. I am always thrilled to be a spectator when the racing is exciting. IT7 was a blast. Congrats to Lou I on a spectacular win. Mike B gets the hard Charger award for starting the race in pit lane and piloting his ride to second place. That was a stellar run on Yokohama A008R's from 1994. No Kidding. Very nice meeting some new folks, Bruce G and Chris R. We will see you all at the Pig Roast next where we will probably be glorified spectators again.

Ray Lee Chee
    Ray Lee Chee
    rleechee at comcast.net
    Oxford, Ct

I had a great time this week. I had 2 hours of seat time in the pouring rain, sorted out the issues with the car, qualified in the dry setting my best lap time yet, experienced rain on slicks.

I felt great in the race. I was near the back so I thought I would let the first turn sort itself out. I was able to make some passes, until the rain got heavy and my slicks gave up on me and lost all the spots I gained. So I put it in cruise control and kept the car from twisting.

Saw a black miata slap the tire wall at the end of no name a few times. Was in the final lap or two. I was behind him as he was trying to get back to the pit...car was bent.

Nice meeting you Ray, hopeful to see you at the Glen.

In the end, I gained a ton of experience, and was signed off.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Wow. That was spoooky. Congrats to those who romped in the rain, and Lou I, especially. I slipped to 4th from 9th in a rather ugly manor. When the rain picked up, it was too late, I can't change tires that quickly because of stupid lug centric to hub centric mismatches, and slicks were NOT the way to go. If the raiuns had come 15 minutes earlier or later, I wouldn't have been a moving chicane. Thanks to all who passed me for giving me room...if I came over on you, I'm, sorry, the car would lose traction without warning and drift sideways 3 feet in an instant. After 3 laps, I just wanted it to be over.

I was thankful for the heads up driving by those around me, that I have no bodywork to do, and that the car has no mud to clean off of it. That in itself is a miracle.

Nice job to Andy B and Lou I. And props to Brian B too.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The ITB race was quite thrilling and quite a lot of fun.

Let me correct that, there were actually two ITB races, the Wentworth and Curran Volvo's along with the Hubbard 2002. Nat outqualified Paul by a 1:03.807 to a .856. Then there was Richard Gleason's Rabbit GTI, my Golf 3 and Charlie Gerundo's Golf 2. Both groups formed tight packs and spent the entire race hammering on each other. Nat lost his leadwith an oops and fell behind Ken. Somehow he managed to get Paul right at the line. While i heard all of this from the three of them, it really shows how good these drivers are.

My group traded places for a few laps and I managed to get a tiny amount of space only to come all the way out of Big Bend to see an ITS Mazda off to the left and driving back on. No problem, he's coming back on the edge; now he's coming one lane in; now he's driving across the track to the left. Major brakes to just avoid the accident in front of me, but the two VW's on my ass also managed to avoid getting involved in this not-so-slo-mo clusterf**k. Of course the RX7 went off into the distance and the three of us just started doing anything we could to keep life interesting. At some point Richard ran outside me through Bg Bend and passed me out of the lefthander. Unfortunatly I missed spotting Charlies ORANGE car following him through and so I pulled over to set up for the right onto No-Name. Charlie tried to avoid but I did put him off onto the grass. Sorry Charlie, please let me ransom the incriminating video from you. At the end I settled down to make the last lap pass out of the downhill only to come up about a foot short. Lots of grins and slapping ourselves silly after this one.

Thanks also to Bill Umstead who qualified in the middle of the B field with his S car. He let us all play together with a gentelmanly start.

Congrats to all.

DZ

Congrats Andy - that was a hell of a drive. Nice job! See, racing in the rain can be fun too. lol

save for one Prod car that lost a hood and caused a melee in T1.

Ummm, yeah. I thought about setting my video up for that session, wish I had. I was behing the prod car, before I knew it the hood flapped up and it watched the driver put one arm up. It almost looked like he was trying to catch the hood but probably trying to protect his head. I wasn't sure whether to brake or accelerate - glad I choose the later as the hood went flying over my car.

With the 8-car FV run-group in front of us and a fairly constant drizzle at the 7-laps to go mark

Jeff went to false grid too early; Jake's rain tire change waaaay too difficult (requires different studs or something else which prevented us to change the car to rains when wanted to). The FV cars had no spray coming off their slicks so rains were the way to go. At the same point, the rain could have let up and Jake was on a softer dry tire. Good job keeping it off the tire wall guys. After this event I did end up getting a much better radar program - the stuff we were using just didn't give us the info. to make a better decision. Now I just need Greg to explain what some of this reflectivity tilt and other stuff means.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by moto62 View Post
    What would you have done? Be another moving schicane for Andy to lap!

Nice job to the A and IT7 group. I am always thrilled to be a spectator when the racing is exciting. IT7 was a blast. Congrats to Lou I on a spectacular win. Mike B gets the hard Charger award for starting the race in pit lane and piloting his ride to second place. That was a stellar run on Yokohama A008R's from 1994. No Kidding. Very nice meeting some new folks, Bruce G and Chris R. We will see you all at the Pig Roast next where we will probably be glorified spectators again.

Ray Lee Chee
    Ray..Thanks for taking the time to come over and chat. even though I thought you were talking about the "motor" from the Belair at first...LOL. You are a fountain of info and I look forward to dropping off the 7's Only 12a to you for repair.

Also thanks again to all of you that made the yellow #10's maiden voyage a blast and gave me steering room with no clutch or defroster!

Finally, all thanks to Mike George(and friends) from Autoworks Unlimited in Torrington, CT for wrenching, doing a beautiful paint job on my car(you should see the 58 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible he just restored for Skip Barber!!) and being a mentor on alot of car stuff. Mike is the flatbed driver for LRP and doesn't make any mistakes when "picking up the pieces". He's a good man to know at the track. Anyone needing bodywork and paint should talk to him.

Best Regards to all,

BruceG

Here are the official results from the ITR/S/B race.

Notes re/ITR:
    New Track Record ITR Rob Nimkoff 1:00.747 (his quali was half a second faster though, I wonder when the 1:00.00 falls)
    Auto Technic rental/guest starter Bruce Dalis (ITR) spun out early and did not finish race
    Light rain towards end of the race, but no significant impact
    Stewards investigated #36 jump start, no sanction

ITS: winner Jay Dedrick ran 1:01.624

ITB: winner Nat Wentworth ran 1:03.901

ITR race was only interesting in the first lap, then rather boring race with no further position changes, even though some lapping issues.

See attached for complete results. Thanks for signing the form Greg, and sorry you missed the race due to tech duty.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Easy to say that a 'Rob' was going to have a shot at winning ITR?

Nice to see ITR knocking on the 59.xxx door. I think Rob N. has been there in testing, no?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Indeed, the 'R' in ITR stands for Rob, I guess ;-)

I also believe he cracked the 59's on one of his track days, so it will happen sooner than later

Great race! I have to toss out a -BIG- thank you to Dano-Dick & Dave who talked JB and I into the last minute tire change! I never started a race from the pit lane-it was not all that bad i started catching the field before the lefthander! RAY-i think those tires are 1998 vintage (not 94)............But they worked very well! I think a HUGE nod has to go to my teamate John Swan IT7#81. JB has NEVER raced at LRP and in the morning practice had a electrical problem and never made in on the track! SO-he started the race-in the rain having never turned a lap! Great Job JB!!!! Great job everyone for keeping the race green in the rain it was a blast!

See everyone at NHMS!
    Mike B IT7#29

Quote Originally Posted by rthiele View Post
    Stewards investigated #36 jump start, no sanction

Great start....not jump start.

Let's be professional. If it was a jump start I would have been DQ'd.

From the GCR

"The race shall be underway throughout the field the instant the green flag is waived and passing may occur at any point....."

May Dad was at S/F on the radio calling out the green . Intersting that this is the first I've heard of this. Nuff said.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

No reason to be upset, just the facts. Ask the stewards. Heard about it after impound and before the finals were released.

Does anyone have a copy of Group 7 results? Can you post it or email?

dmossaidis at gmail dot com

Thanks!
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Here is my video from the ITR/ITS/ITB race in two parts:

http://video.yahoo.com/people/5915974

It took until lap 12 for Jay Dedrick to get me, but when
    he went by me, he was zooming!... 1:01.6 Jay...congrats!!!

also, it is neat to see Dave Maynard on three wheels though Big Bend

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    Does anyone have a copy of Group 7 results? Can you post it or email?

dmossaidis at gmail dot com

Thanks!
    sent. the site thought my PDF file was too big.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com