Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
if the doner car and engine are USDM, then refeences are available.
Where in the FSM - our "bible" for technical reference - is the location of the engine specified? And if it's there, can that be easily measured at the track with basic tools, or do we have to bring it to a frame machine?

Show me, because an unenforceable limit is not a limit (see "tech shed legal").

I'm thinking FWD trnasaxle in a mid engined car (I'm MR2 centric) - inputs are on the "wrong" side of the case. easy button for the 4A/3S/2ZZ...
Can't offer an educated opinion on that one, unfortunately.

...is the diff position open in RWD IRS cars?
No, not that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
Worst case scenario is that guys like me ( with limited budgets and technical expertise ) say the price to play is too high and we do something else.
Even STL ain't gonna be cheap, and it's going to be much, much worse within the National racing program (see the Knestis corollary). When people are spending $55k+ for a Spec Miata, you can be assured we're talking much more than that for a full-up Super Touring build, even for Light.

Right now, not so much an issue; I can win STL races today in my ITS+ Integra. But as that class vies for a National Championship and the interest grows - and I'm very confident it will - you can count on that opportunity quickly disappearing.

I'm not trying to discourage you from interest and participation, I'm simply trying to say where I predict this class is going.

Maybe the compromise position is to allow the wide open stuff in STO & STU and keep STL more of a bolt on class before it gets out of control.
I tried that and was dismissed. See prior letters from me from late 2010/early 2011 in regard to limiting seam welding, glass and panel replacements, multi-point rollcages. That cat's done gone well and truly out of the bag.

STL is a lower prep version, but it won't ever be a low prep version.

GA