stl gear ratios rule interpretation Q

adamjabaay

"oem gear sets that fit w/o modification...."

so...since I'm the idiot building the 1.5 L stl car, I want trans to be as good as possible....

does this , to you guys, mean I can grab and OEM 1-2-3-4-5 gear individually, and make my own ratios, or ,that I need to use an OEM 1-2-3-4-5 AS they came, in some oe trans....no picky-choosy

I can make up reasons that it can be interpreted either way

The intent is to allow you to pick and choose gears individually.

If you think that needs a verbiage clarification, send in a letter and we'll correct it.

GA

Why did I think that I asked the same question and learned it was "gear set" as in, "all of the gears in the set" as in "no picky-choosey?"

Memory is getting worse and worse I guess...

K

Well, it could be my memory that is failing. But I seem to recall a committee discussion where we changed the regs a season or two, and the intent was to allow mix-and-match of gears as long as they slipped on without mods.

Send a letter for us to discuss, just in case.

Doesn't the GCR define "gearset"?

if not, then mix n match should be okay.

what combo of gears are you looking at?

"gear sets " is how its actually written...2 words

I'm currently looking at ZC 3-4-5, the 4.7 I have, one of the quaifes I have... I'm getting the engine running first, then I'll drop the trans and play with it over the winter

Last edited:
When we wrote "gear sets" I believe we intended that to mean gear pairs, meaning you can mix-and-match gear ratios within the box.

Write a letter to be sure.

GA

adam,

look for a 4spd and use that 1-2 set with ZC 3-4-5 or ZC 3 Si 4 ZC 5. puts 2-5 in a good tight range. same setup works wonders in the FP hatch with a 4.7 and quaiffe, ~150 whp, huge drag.

adam,

look for a 4spd and use that 1-2 set with ZC 3-4-5 or ZC 3 Si 4 ZC 5. puts 2-5 in a good tight range. same setup works wonders in the FP hatch with a 4.7 and quaiffe, ~150 whp, huge drag.

FP car use oem-height tires? Looking at gear calculators, yeah.....this is a great combo... thanks! As soon as I decided STL was what I wanted to try, I bought a 4speed, HF, and zc box . Haha

My thought was the previous interpretation was "Gear set" = all of the gears in the case.
i.e. you can stick a NB Miata gearset into a RX7 box. the whole gearset, not just 1 or 2 gears. However, that was a year or two ago and the phiolsophy may have changed now. Write the letter as Greg mentioned (and you did.)
Please post response.

FP car use oem-height tires? Looking at gear calculators, yeah.....this is a great combo... thanks! As soon as I decided STL was what I wanted to try, I bought a 4speed, HF, and zc box . Haha

15in wheels, 23ish inch diameter rolling on slicks, 4.7. Maxes out 5th and still uses 2nd on tight corners. 13in wheels and smaller dial tires get nearly the same wheel speeds from a 4.25 final.

I find myself increasingly uninterested in answers to questions like this...

K

I also thought STL specifically only allowed complete box range swaps, AND that the difference between STU and STL language on the matter was the proof of that. Rules could have been merged, more and more I also have lost interest in the class, despite it being what I always wanted to see: limited prep rules allowing engine swaps in same make chassis.

15in wheels, 23ish inch diameter rolling on slicks, 4.7. Maxes out 5th and still uses 2nd on tight corners. 13in wheels and smaller dial tires get nearly the same wheel speeds from a 4.25 final.

that sounds about perfect....

not doing anything until the official answer.... But I'll have them ready to go

I also thought STL specifically only allowed complete box range swaps, AND that the difference between STU and STL language on the matter was the proof of that. Rules could have been merged, more and more I also have lost interest in the class, despite it being what I always wanted to see: limited prep rules allowing engine swaps in same make chassis.

People are only getting these changes because they're asking for them...

Back