Thread: Order of cars going out for qualifying

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

After we get this pressing issue sorted out, I'd really like the group to give some serious thought to the problem of reserved paddock areas. It's so stressful to arrive at the track without knowing in advance where I'm going to be paddocked. Perhaps a system based on years in the sport and/or age of the driver and proximity to the men's room (or latrine in the case of Nelson Ledges).

The method of lining up on the road with trucks and trailers and having an "Oklahoma Land Rush" when the gaits are opened just doesn't seem safe...tho it does provide a way of getting rid of Miatae without damaging my race car.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Sarcasm aside, WDCR does it...and I love it.

But apparently NER's attitude is "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Just sayin'. Well, actually, they're sayin'...

How 'bout Time Trial style....cars released individually, 15 sec gaps, 3 laps max? Might take "a bit" longer to run a qualifying session, but everyone gets to have a "flyer" without that pesky traffic.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

I don't mind traffic. In fact, I use traffic to my advantage. I don't like the qually "land rush" because:

- I don't want to sit on the grid for 30 minutes, so I'm usually in the back;
    - Which usually results in my losing at least one lap of practice/qually (I always use the whole session for add'l butt time and learning, guess I'm not as good as others in that regard); and
    - Those that do wait for 30 minutes to be at the front of the grid - and let's be honest, it's almost always Miatas - will intentionally block traffic behind them to bunch up the field, causing significant and unnecessary congestion at the back for everyone else (so they can get in a flyer or two before encountering - and bitching about - the very traffic congestion that they themselves caused).

We can either get these drivers to stop engaging in such selfish behavior, or we can implement a top-down process to diffuse the effects of such behavior, or we can just say there's not actually a problem that needs to be fixed and everyone can deal with that non-problem in their own ways.

Doesn't sound like the first two options are really options.

GA

P.S. and to be honest, pre-arranged parking is not a terrible idea, thanks for bringing it up...

Default reserved paddock areas

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    After we get this pressing issue sorted out, I'd really like the group to give some serious thought to the problem of reserved paddock areas. It's so stressful to arrive at the track without knowing in advance where I'm going to be paddocked. Perhaps a system based on years in the sport and/or age of the driver and proximity to the men's room (or latrine in the case of Nelson Ledges).

The method of lining up on the road with trucks and trailers and having an "Oklahoma Land Rush" when the gaits are opened just doesn't seem safe...tho it does provide a way of getting rid of Miatae without damaging my race car.
    Ed, WDCR club racing uses a reserved area paddock map that is part of every supps package. No land rush, per say, everyone knows where to go. Prod and IT are next to the restrooms and grid!

It should be noted that Steve paddocks with Bret and the RP Performance group, who somehow manages to pack about 17 cars in the space others require for just two or three.

The rest of the DC regulars have paddock spots that many have been using for years, but they are always welcoming to strangers. We used to park with the SM field until we got tired of camping in Lake Summit Point and now tend to park up front near the ITA crowd, who has always been friendly and accommodating. Most of the ITB guys are out in the woods where they can't hurt anybody, the GT Pintos are off in a corner where they can't scare anybody off, the open wheel and SRF folks tend to park on the pavement near the IT7s (I guess they are deaf enough to sleep through that noise), and then there's always the Free Turn Five crowd...
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

P.S. and to be honest, pre-arranged parking is not a terrible idea, thanks for bringing it up...
    At some of the Labor Day MARRS events I've attended where there were over 300 entrants, it was nice. "Fortunately" we don't have that issue in the N.E. lately.
    So you'll be taking care of it then. Sounds like the problem is solved - Dave's going to cover it. See you at grid.
    I've never had an issue with stepping up, have you? IF it were a concept that my run group were interested in trying, I wouldn't have an issue helping to cover it.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckerboy View Post
    Most of the ITB guys are out in the woods where they can't hurt anybody
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

Paddock space or early grid are never a problem at NHMS, but how would Dave know?
    One trip/event a year at LRP for NER and no one complaining, well accept for one!
    hardly requires a new rule
    and....Thompson is an unknown right now!
    Jerry
    NER South

I do hate NHMS! LOL

I also never said paddock space is an issue in the N.E.

How was my first post complaining? Merely an idea to discuss something other regions do to determing if regions running races at LRP and other tracks could benefit from this. And I'm not the only one here who likes what the WDCR does. That's fine that many think it isn't a good idea and is a part of this discussion.

And yes, people do complain about this at the track. Absolutely. Not a huge deal to me but it would be one additional item which could reduce stress even just a bit on a race weekend.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

SEDiv tracks this matters a lot. You go out first in a tight group at CMP or Roebling or VIR and you are likely to ensure the all important first few clean laps on HoHos.

So yeah, we "fight" for pole position in qualifying by lining up early. Basically when the group before you GOES to grid, you go line up outside teh grid.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8