MyLAPS SURVEY

MYLAPS X2 - The future of racing.
View in browser
http://mylaps.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fdd72bdedadf9b83d2967a5c8&id=0de2056c6a&e=7be75cb0dfhttp://mylaps.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fdd72bdedadf9b83d2967a5c8&id=0de2056c6a&e=7be75cb0df

Dear ________________
This year we will introduce the new X2 transponder, which will be a substitute for the current rechargeable and direct power car/bike transponder. The X2 transponder has a complete new design and will offer you more than lap times in the future.

We would like to receive feedback on the concept and learn how we can improve the transponder. Therefore we would like to ask you to fill out a short survey. The survey should take about 10-15 minutes of your time and can be accessed by clicking on the link below:

Based on the questions, they're considering making it a subscription model only.
Yeah, f u.

Looks like my couple of existing ones just jumped in value. And it's WELL past time for a value-priced open-source solution.

Holy hell these companies catering to racers just think we're an endless fountain of money...

GA

Yeah, f u.

Looks like my couple of existing ones just jumped in value. And it's WELL past time for a value-priced open-source solution.

Holy hell these companies catering to racers just think we're an endless fountain of money...

GA

this.^^^...$500 transponder is ridiculous....i can only imagine how much this new one will be.

The new TRANSPONDER will be cheaper. But it'll cost you $75/year to use it.
How can that possibly be enforced? Will it still register a hit across the line? If not, why not?

Are you going to have to remove the device from the car every year to "re-register" its functions online? If so, I'm guessing 32 microseconds before someone hacks that.

Or is the $75 just a fee to get access to your data online? If that's the case, this company values its online "services" way too much and has no effin clue about its user base. It should be paying me $75 to give a sh*t.

GA

go read the survey information- answers all your questions.

Cliff's Notes: USB-based dongle is loaded with subscription key and communicates with transponder. The transponder itself has an internal clock that stops working at XXX date unless the key is renewed.

It's a way for them to force people to continue to pay for transponder vs. a single one-time hit. Forcing themselves into a constant income stream- capitalism, baby!

go read the survey information- answers all your questions.
Never got a survey.

Time for a change. With them now trying to get $75/person/year - for every org that uses AMB transponders - there will be a wave of capital available for anyone willing to purse a more open-source model. If I had the electronics and coding background I'd be burning up my Internet connection setting up a Kickstarter account.

Someone will. You can count on it.

GA

Never got a survey.

Time for a change. With them now trying to get $75/person/year - for every org that uses AMB transponders - there will be a wave of capital available for anyone willing to purse a more open-source model. If I had the electronics and coding background I'd be burning up my Internet connection setting up a Kickstarter account.

Someone will. You can count on it.

GA

This forum needs a "like" button for these kind of moments. While I'm not positive someone will take on the open source challenge that tGA suggests I am sincerely hoping it comes to pass. The market is definitely in need of some competition and this isn't rocket science.

left them a comment in the survey:

subscription models change a large one time cost for what you hope is a more palatable ongoing cost. Amateur racers are not stupid - you can't be stupid, nor lazy, and have the funds needed to play in this sandbox. your company is already the focus of much anger among the SCCA, NASA, etc... communities. your pricing has always been at issue and your recent website "upgrade" was not the PR you wanted. this move will end your monopoly and I suggest you reconsider your intended position.

^^^ Virtually identical to what I just left them, using words like "competition" and "monopoly" and 'we are not stupid'.

This company was teetering on the edge with the racing community. They've overplayed their hand. Methinks they just pushed us right over the cliff...

I've sent Raceiver an email, asking if their stuff is compatible with existing systems. I may also consider just buying one to see for myself.

GA

Back