Thread: ITS Ford Mustang(s) Build - Stripper Stang Part II

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I figured I’d provide another update on Team Stangwerks.

We’ve had a lot of ups and downs in the last seven or eight months:

*Suspension binding in the rear is now identified and we’re reconfiguring the “trilink”. I think our ability to put down the power we have will greatly improve.
    *Green car finally received motor V2.0, which had to be removed last month to fix a crank scraper oil leak.
    *Green car finally received the proper rear end ratio to avoid fifth gear.
    *Both cars received better tunes, but, they both stopped responding well to A/F targets causing some fueling issues.
    *Red car broke three tranmission tail shaft housings; green car did not. We have ideas.
    *Proper spring rates were decided upon.
    *Chased pinion angles and fixed driveline vibrations.
    *Konis went off to Lee for revalving, we were not optimal. We’ll be much better.
    *New headers are designed but not yet constructed.

We’re now in various stages of each of these points and winter maintenance is also occurring, all new bearings, brake calipers, and fluids. As usual, we’ve done all the work on everything and are certainly improving our skill set.

We’ve also booked a date here and we’ll take one of the cars down for a proper suspension study:

http://www.morsemeasurements.com/wha...sting-answers/

With two cars it is somewhat affordable to split the study, about the cost of a set of tires.

Team Stangwerks finished up the year pretty well with a one-two finish at the SARRC at RRR. We certainly didn’t expect to do that well, but on the other hand we worked hard on the test day and finally got a suspension setup that was somewhat reasonable and gave us some traction allowing us us to get off the corners equal to other cars. Also contributing were the points leader missing qualifying, Steve E not making it, P3 through P6 having a serious dogfight, Jeff Y getting of six once poorly and giving me an opening, but still, Jeff G drove a strong race and won. Here is some in car, although it doesn't include the finish. The finish had me on Jeff G’s rear bumper 0.251 seconds apart. Fun race.

http://youtu.be/hsZDN8VTHnU

And we had some good racing at VIR in the ECR.

And a good SARRC race, although Jeff G broke a tranny and had to drop out. Jeff Young drove well and took the win with Plucker a close third.

Looking forward to a great 2014 and fun racing with good friends!
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 01-27-2014 at 08:24 PM.