Question about a Miata VLSD

Bill Miller

I have one out of my '93 that has broken teeth on the ring gear. I swapped an open diff into the car. Is it worth rebuilding the VLSD w/ a new R&P, or should I just bite the bullet and put in a Torsen unit out of a later car? Keep in mind that this is just a tool around, low budget toy.

Bill, it all depends. According to internet lore, the VLSD on these is pretty much wiped out after 30K miles. I know that the few I've played with over the past few years (I've got a clutch type in mine) have born that out. Stick the Torsen in there and call it soup.

The 1.6 stuff is just crapola, no matter what flavor it is. Grab yourself a 1.8 of some sort and be happier for longer.

Nissan VLSDs on the NX2000s lasted maybe a few races in Showroom Stock. Common to replace them before the Runoffs each year...

Thanks guys, I guess I'll sell the housing on fleabay.

Matt,

I'd like an NB car, but this one was a really good deal, and is pretty fun to drive. How easy is it to swap a late NA 1.8 into an early NA car that came w/ a 1.6?

Lots of folks have done the 1.8 swap into the 1.6. Complexity depends on if you swap the ECU & harness.

I've got two in our fleet. Mine's a total transplant (1.8 harness, 1.8 dashboard), and my wife's was cobbled together by the previous owner using the 1.6 harness.

Back