Thread: Self-policing +

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    So, to the CFR situation specifically...

Get a group of like-minded folks together informally, with the mission of getting the cheating under control.

Make sure you recognize that you're talking about shifting a culture, one that's pretty entrenched and supported (explicitly or tacitly) but a lot of folks with $$ invested in their current (cheaty) positions. Commit to the challenge.

Communicate as broadly as you can - starting right now - that y'all are on a mission. It's a friendly mission but some folks' feelings might get hurt. Give 'em as much warning (this off season) as possible to get compliant or risk getting dinged.

Define a set of specific strategies to actually DING SOMEONE and put them into action. The list from this conversation is a great start:

** Get friendly tech peeps to hold "impound all" with hoods open

** Vow to collectively - and informally - point out any obvious visible illegalities that can be seen to every entrant; reinforce that, as a group, the category DOES care about whether every car is compliant

** Pick some low-hanging cheater fruit - protest visible-and-consequential items on a few cars, and protest a couple of the more grievous suspected problems that require technical help, if not invasive tear downs (e.g., pull valve covers to compare easy cam measurements [lobe height minus base circle], gearbox ratios).

We've joked about "Florida IT" for the last decade. It's part of the reason I NEVER made any effort to come there. I got a clear picture of what we'd be walking into from David Ellis-Brown's "recommendations" of what we should do to make a MkIII VW fast, back when we built Pablo I...

It would be nice to see the accepted standards change.

K
    I remember racing against browns jetta once or twice at sebring...

lots of hp, and would just walk me on the straights...but driver needed some work. I could beat him on the club course, but on the long course his engine was too much for me

To quadzir...
    If I was still running in the CFR with my old ITB car, I would be more than happy to join in with you.
    There are probably more people than you realize who are willing to take up the cause with you...you might be surprised when you start walking around the paddock to talk to other IT guys.

This is a good start, as you can do some research and maybe connect online with other CFR ITB racers...
    and then next race, just walk the paddock and say what you've been saying in here.

edit...
    why would it cost so much to check cams? Isnt it just a valve cover removal? That shouldn't take more than ten minutes?
    Last edited by matt batson; 11-11-2013 at 02:42 PM.