Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
participation floor for runoffs eligibility?

. It's pretty obvious that STL was largely a way to give IT cars a path to the ruboffs. Not just the "IT cars may compete" clause, but the evolutionary path solves what many saw as a problem of regional status. LP prod was always sold as a way to "move up" from IT too, though the intention was to save prod (worked) the "draw from that bunch of farm league guys (IT)" mentality is not unique to our club.
Well, I think that STL was created so that CERTAIN TYPES of "IT like" cars (A very narrow window, actually) could see the "big time", but the category (class actually) is managed completely differently, and due to the weight setting method, will always be a class for a couple elite hp to specific output machines.

Its not IT. It's ONE class, not 5.
It is having it's numbers propped up by double dipping SMs.
IF the top 24* had been the path chosen and IT was eligible, the numbers would have had a couple of IT classes qualify, and not due to SM numbers.

And, STL going to be pretty pricy to build a top dog. Engine allowances are pretty open, so that means you will likely pay. Yes, certain swaps can be cheap, but others not so much. Brakes, the restrictions might keep uber expensive parts at bay, but it's an allowance that must be taken, so most will want to 'get the most', and spend some time doing it. Chassis allowances are more liberal than IT, and the cage rules will support super stiff springs, which need bucks up dampers. Yes, you can spend a fortune on dampers for IT, but the payback just isn't there, if the chassis is undamped and bending. It will be reasonable to build a solid car, but when more people decide to go after the big prize, the costs WILL ramp up, and there WILL be a tangible benefit to the high costs..

IT would have had this happen (more than it has seen in the past or currently) too. It's the nature of the beast. Popularity breeds cost increases. But at some point there are diminishing returns, and I think IT has that point (for most cars,- car choice is of course, key) at a lower level.

I'm not sure I buy the "farm league/move up" aspect. LOTs of people want to race a prep level, and race it seriously. Lots of people aren't of the mind to swap cars and classes "moving up the ladder". They'd rather move up the ladder in one car.

IT is a popular prep level. If you want proof, look at LP prod. Suddenly, Prod is hot. I bet a full prep prod car hasn't been built in yeeears. LP builds are pretty close to IT builds.
IF IT had been a National category, had the same perks and contingencies as Prod, I suggest we'd see a whole different landscape. Prod was in a world of hurt 5 or so years ago, and somebody woke up and came up with a way to stuff the genie back in the bottle.

*The 24 thing was for Speed TV...but that ship has sailed.

Also, people warned that if IT went National, it would die, (Or be ruined) because nobody would want to race if there were big money builds winning all the time. I think that looking at SM proves that wrong. Lots of guys race and they know they won't be winning races with their used up cheap cars. Why would IT be different?

It's water under the bridge now, but it would sure be interesting to see how things would look if IT went national, and reduced the 5 yr limit to 3....and classed interesting cars, and it happened before we lost the SPEED TV contract... I always thought newer IT level cars would attract new racers to SCCA better than any of the classes they televised.