Registering your out-of-state trailer in Maine

In addition to all that information, I have specifically asked NY DMV "Can a person have a trailer registered in another state as long as it is inspected?"
They answered "If you want to know if you can tow a trailer that is registered in another state with a NY plated vehicle; the answer is yes as long as the registration on both is valid."
That was in July 07

Learn something new everyday -

For NH, athough there was no sales tax, I am paying an annual Town Tax and trailers over 3,000 lbs need to be inspected every year. Maine could be an interesting option.

Agreed.
Thanks Jake.

I did this last month- so easy it wasn't even funny.
I SAVED approx. $350 over 5 years compared to N.Y. (approx 80%)

Thanks for the tip - the company mentioned is the way to go.
I'll have J.W. get you some beers the next time we meet up at the track.

~ER.

I did this last month- so easy it wasn't even funny.
I SAVED approx. $350 over 5 years compared to N.Y. (approx 80%)

Thanks for the tip - the company mentioned is the way to go.
I'll have J.W. get you some beers the next time we meet up at the track.

~ER.

Happy to help. :D
You'll probably have to Mapquest the directions for J.W. to find our trailer. :eclipsee_steering:
Word is that he's been spotted on many occasions drinking wine-coolers !!!!

We also would like the oppurtunity of registering your trailers in Maine. We are a stautory agent of the State of Maine. call us at 1800 883 5181 and we will tell you why so many register their trailers in Maine. We want your business. Thank you ,Sam Kelley

I am reviving this thread to ask if anything has changed to make using this service a problem. Massachusetts has implemented a new trailer inspection service starting 1/1/09 that sounds like it is going to be pretty onerous. I think it applies to trailers over 3000 pounds. Any reason I should not switch to Maine.

Lost titles and/or registering vehicles in Maine

Don't know if this is much help or not, but thought I'd share the tiny bit I know.

I've purchased a couple of older motorcycles without titles. I have a friend who is in law enforcement run the VINs through the NCIC to make sure they're not reported stolen. From there, you can get in contact with ITS Titles in Las Vegas. For a fee (IIRC, it's about $165 for a motorcycle) and a bill of sale, they'll get you a new title and a tag from Maine. Take the title to the DMV in your state and transfer it and you're done! New title and your vehicle can now be tagged in your own state. This might help with the old trailer with no title mentioned earlier. Also, I don't see why you couldn't just leave that perfectly good Maine tag and title in effect (at least for a while). Since I live in NC and haven't followed through with this process yet, your results may vary.

Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org

horse trailer

I see it's been a while since this string has been active. Great info here from everyone that contributed.
My question is, Do you know if I could go through this process with a friend that is a resident of Maine and by doing so, avoid going through a company as well as their fee?:dead_horse:

Well I suppose so but you would have to do all the work. Get the forms, apply for a Maine title, and apply for the registration and of course your friend would have to forward everything to you. Unless you are really cheap (not that there is anything wrong with that) the fee is pretty damn reasonable.

You'll have to use your friends address ...
Going through the agency and their service is SO cheap, such a smokin deal. And it works every time. Ideally have the thing registered in another name that's close to you, like your brother. That way, if you get pulled over, the trooper can't look at the registration, see your name and a Maine address while your dr. lic has your name and your home states address, and say, "Which is it? You live here, or in Maine?". Certain states (like CT) have laws against that. (Tax evasion).

fees

Wish I knew of the Maine trailer deal 6 months ago. If you think your state of CA, NY or CT is a rip off, here is the deal with Massachusetts.
My 18 ft open car hauler, registration in November was $100, I had to get the new 'inspection', another $100 (may have been $130), then my city charges me $5 excise tax. This is all for one year!!
The inspection is not very thorough, my tires are pretty worn (not really a good thing), but they passed it no problem, but slap an inspection decal on the front of it.

Victor
#03 ITA
Acura Integra

Acura of Peabody
HMS motorsport

While Illinois has problems one thing it does have is easy trailer licensing. I have a 16 ft open trailer and it costs me $18 a year. Done! No inspection, no insurance.

http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/

I used this to register mine, it seems to be no problem in registering from NY.

Registering your trailer in Maine

Ace Trailer Agency can register your trailer in Maine as they are an authorized Statutory Agent. Prices are reasonable and tthey have a quick turn around. (207) 489-9012.

Maine does have a title law for car newer then 1995. The 15 yr old policy is gone. If you need answers in Maine theres a Red Tape hotline for answers.....works well 1-(207)-624-7486. As a resident of Maine we love your money...keep sending it !

Back