Thread: Adjustable Rear Lateral Links

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I would definitely not track the car with the "stock" links. I currently have aftermarket links on it.

They may have addressed the problem in some way, but I have not recieved any notices, etc. I need to do more digging to see if there is a legal alternative. I just wanted to confirm the rules before replacing parts.
    Last edited by 41hstock; 03-30-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    Paul Moylan
    03 Mini Cooper
    KCR SCCA

I do not see a future of alternate allowance for links in Improved Touring. It's just too far a step in philosophy right now.

However, this may be currently allowed in Super Touring; do you have a diagram to illustrate what parts you're talking about? I also believe that alternate links are *clearly* allowed in Production, but that may be too big a step in prep.

Show us what you're talking about.

- GA

If that picyure of the split arm is for real, If I had to "beef" that part up, perhaps a rear sway bar mount--a very surdy mount--would work.

However, that "split" looks strange.

Here is a diagram of the rear suspension. The control arms are part #9, of course. I heard that they may have been beefed up for the 2004 thru 2006 model years. I will check'er out to be sure. That may be an alernative.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Moylan
    03 Mini Cooper
    KCR SCCA

ST Regs state: "Suspension components shall be the stock OEM parts, but they may be reinforced. Standard suspension bushings may be replaced with solid or spherical bushings."

STU allows alternate control arms.

STL allows "Front and rear upper control arms may be modified or replaced with items that allow camber and/or caster adjustment only." (My emphasis).

I think Prod allows you to replace both with alternates.

GA

I'm going to answer your question with another question: Why do you want to race?
    Think big picture. What are your goals? Now? Long term??
    I say this because often we just use the car we have/like, but often it's not the right tool for the job.
    Decide what the job is, THEN choose the tool.
    Also, you will be $$$ ahead if you sell WHATEVER car you 'have" and buy a running logbooked racecar. You will get history, a setup book, and all the parts for about 33% of what was spent, AND, most importantly, you'll know what the car can do in the class it's in.
    Buy, don't build.
    Unless you love the build, and have the spare cash.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com