Reducing weight on topside of car

stevestratton

Building out a 1990 Miata for STL and want your opinions on spending $$$$ to reduce the topside weight on the car. In particular, windows, hood and trunk? Already working on the motor, need to buy an ECU management system and wondering if I should upgrade the current ITA suspension or spend the money to, in effect, make some adjustment to the CG??? :shrug:
Thanks Steve

Building out a 1990 Miata for STL and want your opinions on spending $$$$ to reduce the topside weight on the car. In particular, windows, hood and trunk? Already working on the motor, need to buy an ECU management system and wondering if I should upgrade the current ITA suspension or spend the money to, in effect, make some adjustment to the CG??? :shrug:
Thanks Steve

There is a fiberglass top available out there in the world.

I've seen a few carbon fiber tops floating around out there for about $1000 (used). weigh under 10lbs.

never looked at the rules for a top, but I know hood and trunklids are legal for composites..

Yes, it can't be carbon. I know tha Miata's are using a replica hardtop that's way lighter than the OE as they're a single lay up of fiberglas and kevlar and they don't have all that stuff for a nice inside padding or mounts that the oe top has.

You're on the wrong side of the country, but I know 7s Only in Buttonwillow, CA, makes really lightweight fiberglass Miata tops with plexiglass rear windows. I believe they weigh about 10 pounds. Shipping would probably be expensive, but I have heard of people shipping inexpensively via Greyhound.

I got a lightweight fiberglass top with light Lexan rear window from Treasure Coast Miata in Florida. About 15 pounds and cheaper that a stock top. It's fairly well done. If you don't already have a stock top, it's easily the way to go.

Back