Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
My opinion only: I don't think anyone has built a to the max 944 8v since the weight was dropped. Clearly the suspension and brakes are there. Power is the issue.

THe 944S on the other hand solves the power problem and when built and driven to the max (like KIp's) is a potential ITS overdog. But it is an expensive build.

I still think a 944 at the new weight would be competitive although I think the Porsche crowd disagrees wtih me. Solid, reliable car with great brakes and handling though.

Jeff you are on the money. My "other" car is a 944 and although it is not built "to the max," it has a good strong motor that takes advantage of most of the rules. It's low on HP compared to BMW's etc but it's also low on weight. 2-3 years ago at the ARRC I was almost keeping up with Matt Reppert doing 1:43's, and that was my first race of the year.

Unfortunately the 944 motor can be tempermental, and mine went south. You need to have a very well designed oil pan/scraper system that prevents foaming, since this is the bane of the 944. Most recommend an Accusump although I have nver run one.

I'd go for an 8V over 16v due to the weight difference. There are lots of good options for the suspension and the weight limit is reachable within the rules if you weigh under 225 lb or so. The '84 is a good chassis - light weight plus parts are much cheaper than later years (ie brake rotors etc). Use a manual steering rack.

You need an '88 motor - and get the head flowed and worked to the limit of the rules. That's where the power is.

There is another individual in your area looking at building a 944. Send me a PM and I will see if he wants to compare notes with you. I have talked to him quite a bit.

The 944 may not be the fastest car but it has excellent handling, is very forgiving, and parts and upgrades are easily available. Not a winner at Daytona maybe, but at places like VIR and Road Atlanta it can win with the right driver/build combination.