Thread: Nov '12 Prelim Minutes & Tech Bulletin

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's a copy of letter. This has been and always will be a hot area since folks have bent the rules (creative interpretation) while others insist that it's airdam only for IT. Second, though I happy to see STAC getting splitter definition yet it TRULY belongs in the GCR glossary with measurement exceptions made under each class CS section.

Letter ID Number: #9062
    Title: IT Rules Interpretation Request - Airdam/Spoiler topics
    Class: IT
    Request:
    Dear SCCA CRB and ITAC,

This request may have come before yet debate continues in the IT forums and in my head when trying to make the next modification to IT car.

Two questions:

1) Many suppliers of airdams/spoilers including current IT racers are stating that radiator supports and front sub-frames are legitimate mounting points for otherwise legal spoiler/airdam kits. Suppliers of front aero devices to NASA drivers also want to provide their same products to SCCA IT drivers. Two, IT drivers designing their own front aero devices would like to make use of additional strong mounting points, allowing them to improve the functionality of their airdams/spoiler, i.e. easily adding splitters, stiffening points, etc. "Body" is defined in the GCR and integrated bumper covers are defined in 9.1.3.D.8.b and no where do I read that radiator supports or front sub-frames (as neither are considered part of the "body" or "bumper cover") are legitimate mounting points for an airdam/spoiler setup on an IT car. Could you please clarify? I submit 5 references.

a) 2 long threads in IT regarding the multiple view points on 9.1.3.D.8.b. I hope you find these threads interesting.

https://improvedtouring.com...light=splitter

https://improvedtouring.com...light=splitter

b) 1 reference to the 2009 Aug Fasttrack regarding Moser's Appeal. As referenced in the above threads, the outcome of Moser's appeal simply caused more confusion and frustration regarding airdam/spoiler mounting points. Initially, the rules interpretation request found that Moser’s mounting points were illegal. Moser appealed the ruling and the appeal was denied not because of the mounting points but based openings in Moser’s setup were not used for brake ducts. So... are the mounting legal or NOT legal? The ruling did not clarify anything in that area. Very Sinful (on the part of the BoD)

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...strack-aug.pdf

c) product issued by special projects motorsports. This is example where a supplier is interpreting IT rules, suggesting splitter kits with rad mounting points are IT legal.

http://www.specialprojectsms.com/per...vic-99-00.html

d) message from another supplier of airdams/spoilers to NASA and potentially IT community

"They (SCCA) pretty clearly define a 'box' we can play in. I already see a grey area that we could easily take advantage of. Most times in aerodynamic terms, words are inter-changeable. Do you know the email to the IT director or the director of you specific class? You could shoot them an email and get a definite answer but I'm going to say yes. The rules defining what we can do are almost identical to 944 Super Cup rules which I just made a splitter for a guy not too long ago. I can make something very similar to the picture you sent me in the link of XXXXX car. Send that to the director and make sure.

As for mounting, that’s not an issue. I worked in collision repair for 9 years. If you were to strip off all the bumpers, fenders, hood, doors, etc., you would be left with the unibody. The rad support and frame rails are part of that body. Again, I see this as just a word or phrase interchangeability issue."

2) The use of a splitter is more common in IT classes. Mounting points discuss aside, I believe the GCR may address the functional definition of a splitter under the "airdam" definition. What I find interesting is that under GTCS and STCS rules, one can find multiple references to "splitter" yet no definition in GCR. If there is one, I apologize and would welcome the reference. If there's not, I am requesting the CRB consider a separate "Splitter" definition in the Appendix F, revision to "airdam" definition in Appendix F to specifically mention/include "splitter" OR define splitter in the STCS and GTCS OR something better.

Thank you for your time and understanding. I welcome all discussion including over the phone and email conversations.

Best,

Demetrius Mossaidis #345562
    Last edited by mossaidis; 10-17-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.