This is a very unofficial "I'm not on the STAC and this is my opinion" post...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
GCR 8.1.4 spells out "compliance review."
Chip, back in '07/08 or so, AJ Nealey and Gregg Ginsberg used the GCR process to get clarification on the intake on a competitor's ITA car. Along with their response to that process, they got a STERN rebuke about using this GCR process as a way to "clarify" a reg. My inference from the reply was that using this process to do ANYTHING but clarify something presented as a **NEW** competitive advantage was a waste of the process' time and an abomination of mankind (it was, IMO, a rude and inappropriate reply).

What you are suggesting is, based on that experience, a direct contravening of the GCR. And, I suggest, if a reg is not clear, and is in reality possibly being applied in direct conflict with the intent of the regs, it is decisively within the committee's responsibility to "clarify" that interpretation and/or correct the verbiage in the regs.

I do not think it proper to ask a competitor to develop a whole farcical protest to "test" validity of an application of a reg, nor do I think it proper to use that GCR clarification process to have the CRB - and by extension, the ITAC - make a formal decision as to the application of a rule. If there's any question - and by your direct reply above, there is decisive and well-known debate within the ITAC - as to how well or not a reg is being applied, it is within your authority - within your responsibility - to clarify it by interpretation and/or adjustment in the verbiage of the regs.

My 2 cents.

GA

P.S., please read my sig....