Thread: What's the chassis??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I'm confused, but I just don't know these cars. But, as far as I am concerned, a BMW 345 wagon is the same car as a BMW 345 sedan is the same car as a 345 coupe, so you're free to swap parts all you like between them. The tuning philosophy of Super Touring allows - encourages - that. - GA

On edit: personal commentary, the BMW Z4 really isn't a good platform for this kinda stuff. I remember getting up close to Rob's ITA Z3, and that rear suspension is pretty basic; comes from the E30 chassis, doesn't it? The E36 was a much better rear suspension as I recall, and I'm sure the E46+ is even better...but I'm waiting for Eric to jump in here and clarify this muddiness...
    E36 and E46 are pretty much the same multilink rear suspension as I understand.
    Z3, E30, and E36 Bobtail Ti all use the same semi-trailing arm rear suspension.

remember that:

The rules require that the:

Intake manifold must be from either the installed engine or the chassis. (allowed for motor swaps*)
    and
    Chassis must be/ have been available through the US dealer network
    and
    Engines must have been available in North America.

the S54 engine, installed in the E46 M3 Chassis, had ITB's
    The S50B30, installed in the Canadian market 1994 E36M3, had ITB's.

So if someone wanted to run ITB's on their 2.5L egine, they could theoretically run an M54 (E46 325 engine) in an E36 M3 chassis.
    If the ITB from the S50B30 are to be used it would have to be as a complete engine at 3.0L regardless of which chassis it's installed in.
    Since the M54 came in the E46 chassis, the stock ITM would have to be used.

Also note the S54 engine is 3248cc, which is larger then the 3.2L limit of the class.

Note I am NOT saying this IS LEGAL, not am I saying it IS NOT or it SHOULD NOT be legal. I am saying that's how it looks like the rules read to me.
    Last edited by JS154; 07-30-2012 at 06:35 PM.