Thread: What does a SCCA IT race car look like...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In the mid 1990s we used to have 40 plus IT cars in the group at least twice a year.
    The IT run group at the time had more participation than any other class except spec racers. Cost was not the deciding factor for me,,,,,, I was campaigning not one,,,but two mercedes benz 190e racercars at the time,,,and you couldn't exactly get mail order parts from Summit for those cars.
    You guys know the drill,,,,,it took all of my time (and yes, most of my money) to develop the car, fabricate parts, etc,etc,,,,only to be treated like you didn't matter because you don't have a "national" class. Now, all I ever used to hear about at board meetings was concern about "graying" of the SCCA. My logic was to pay a little more attention to the IT guys and maybe even have a few "spectator events" since the average joe can relate to IT cars,,,because he reckognizes the makes/models as.
    This could generate interest in the club, and possibly help gain membership and participants

,,,,of course instead of trying anything that would be supportive of such a strong group of cars,,,,it seems like they are still stuck with dinosaur stuff like formula vee. Let's be honest here guys,,,the only twelve people in the nation who give a flying f**k about formula vee are the 12 old farts that still have one. It is dinosaur cars and they don not do anything to attract a younger audience.
    Put that old crap into vintage racing where it and all the other dinosaurs belong and maybe then you will have some room for cars build within the last 20 years.

Even a local multiple national champ realized the shortcomings of old technology and moved his MGA into vintage racing ,while he now campaigns a modern mazda on the national club level.

Then there's the whole economics of it. track rentals and associated costs are expensive. So wouldn't it seem logical to try and have participation as high as possible? More participants=more entry fees=more money to cover costs,,,,,,,,so why does the scca seem to do everything it can to lower the motivation to enter on the regional level????

I guess to wrap up my little rant,,,,,, if you go to a local restaurant and they constantly treat you bad and serve mediocre food to you.
    If things don't improve, you can vote with your wallet and go to their competitor down the street.

This is pretty much for what I and many others have done and are doing. I know this may seem like a "foreign" concept to many who only run scca events,,,,,,but there are actually groups and clubs out there who are happy to have you participate with them and who will treat you like they appreciate your choice to run with them.
    Last edited by Alain V.; 05-28-2012 at 06:51 PM.