Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
If I was going to build an ITA it would, and I know this is crazy, be one of the 3.8 GM cars -- the Ols, the Pontiac or the Buick.

You could get a five speed on those cars and the suspension is not terrible. I think they had drum brakes though and a carb though. Still, that motor will make power.

My Dad had a ITA 3.8 Skyhawk/monza years ago here in the SE, back in the early 90s he would be on the front row at Roebling almost everytime. The car was fast, fast, fast........ problem was you couldnt stop, well you could once, then the brakes were gone. Tiny vented front rotors rear drums.......... the 5 speeds were the old small boxes, they wouldnt stay together, he probababy went through 3-4 a year. The only one that would last was the ultra heavy 4 speed. Oh, did I mention those v-6s were the old design in which the oil galleys went all the way around the block before they got to the journals. And if thats not enough for you, the car was just too darn heavy. Racing a car thats 2800 lbs, just isnt very fun, especially when you go to pay for tires.

The cars were really popular out on the west coast in ITA, but there were only 2 or 3 around here built. I am sure with the larger tire rule and better brake pads available now, it might help. But what would be the point??