Thread: Anyone have a cheap, reliable car for rent?

Default Anyone have a cheap, reliable car for rent?

For the Feb Roebling double school, I can go but I need a car! My 240SX is still under construction.

email @ [email protected] or call 678-777-3714.

--Greg

Greg, call Tom Fowler at OPM Autosports 770-886-8199. He has Integras and Miatas.
    http://www.wrpmotorsports.com/ Thanks to Optima Batteries, OPM Autosports and Sparco USA.

Quote Originally Posted by faketree View Post
    Greg, call Tom Fowler at OPM Autosports 770-886-8199. He has Integras and Miatas.
    Thanks for the info! I may call OPM but keep in mind the word "cheap".

Quote Originally Posted by GJB1 View Post
    Thanks for the info! I may call OPM but keep in mind the word "cheap".

No rental is Cheap... Even if I rent you my ITA/SM Miata (which is a rental) for a double driver’s school weekend at a crazy low price - you are still responsible for any damage that may happen to it. So a cheap rental fee can turn into $10k+ for a destroyed race car. So I'm a guy with a car to rent (bought it to rent it) and I've talked everyone out of renting it who have wanted to... Not good for business, but haven't had someone who can actually afford to write it off come looking for a rental. With the cheap prices to purchase a built race car - you can buy one for $4000 and use it for the weekend. If you've got a car left at the end (and odds are you will), you can sell it for a loss and still be ahead. Even a cheap rental is going to be?? $1k for a double driver’s school weekend? And that sounds low/low to me... Even at that number - you cap your potential out of pocket at $4k with a purchase like above.

Another option is: How far off is the car you're building? Cage and other safety items - running/driving/stopping and no parts falling off is about all you need for drivers school. Get it to pass tech and have fun! Feb is MONTHS away! Call some friends and buy some beer and get it done!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

+ 1 on finish the car. there is time.

if it is cash flow issue, take the rental $$ and hire work done on the car to finish it.

or buy a car and sell as Matt suggests:

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=29889

many cars for sell just need minor updates or new belts, etc. and the belts can be moved to or from your car.

good luck with the build. looking forward to the driver school writeup either way.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Try Ricky Thompson at R&R Motorsports/Body Shop. He's in Goldsboro (and to be up front, a friend) but he has the most reasonable SM rental rates I know of.

Here:

http://www.rrbodyshopinc.com/contact.htm

You won't get a catered lunch like with OPM but his cars are well prepped and reliable, and fast.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Protech racing has 2 VW Golfs @ 1200$ per double school. 1000$ crash deposit.
    The SM is 1600$ and 2000$ deposit.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

We have an ITB honda del sol available. We're out of orlando but we're scheduled to be at the school already with space in the trailer.

Greg,

This by far will be the cheapest way for you to go.

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=29908

It will also give you a means to keep your license after you have done the schools.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

One thing to understand about renting for a school is to rent from someone who can KEEP YOU ON TRACK. If you flat-spot a tire, bend the car, lose a clutch, etc...you need your hours. If you count on a 'just built my first car' to get you around for 2 days without an issue, you are really taking a gamble.

Much money has been lost by students whose cars were unreliable, didn't have enough crew to help, or hurt a car with a 'shoe-string' program. You are investing a lot of money in travel, hotel, and entry fees - not to mention your expectations, to miss your sign-off because you didn't get your hours.

Rent.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    One thing to understand about renting for a school is to rent from someone who can KEEP YOU ON TRACK. If you flat-spot a tire, bend the car, lose a clutch, etc...you need your hours. If you count on a 'just built my first car' to get you around for 2 days without an issue, you are really taking a gamble.

Much money has been lost by students whose cars were unreliable, didn't have enough crew to help, or hurt a car with a 'shoe-string' program. You are investing a lot of money in travel, hotel, and entry fees - not to mention your expectations, to miss your sign-off because you didn't get your hours.

Rent.

All very true! MAKE SURE to have crew! You will not have time to be working on the car if it needs anything. Using a proven car is the way to go. If you rent - make sure the crash damage maximum is a # you can live with. Which goes back to my buy/drive advice. Pickup a known good basic car for cheap and you're close to there! LIke I said - I've got a Miata I can rent you and I can make the renal cheap! But the crash damage waiver is not cheap if the car gets trashed...

Matt
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

That is why we have 4000$ in spares,plus the 20hr of prep.
    The car has to run the entire weekend, just add fuel.MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

You are the bag of solution for women personal cleansing internally. The people who shall be clicking on the signature provided links are expected to be suffering the utmost unconformability from related members in a forum.

<babelfish> Don't click this dooshe's links. </bablefish>

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    You are the bag of solution for women personal cleansing internally. The people who shall be clicking on the signature provided links are expected to be suffering the utmost unconformability from related members in a forum.

<babelfish> Don't click this dooshe's links. </bablefish>

K
    well done!

interesting that the previous comment is also spam.... guess we all missed that one the first time around.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"