I work at a place that sells trailers, so we see new registrations on a constant basis, from all over the country, but primarily New England states. I have noticed a drop off in new registrations to ME.

Of late, there has been an increase of people complaining that they got hassled either in a stop or by their own local PD over the ME tag. The states are well aware of the registration in ME angle. And they are also well aware of the loss of taxes.

We are also hearing about what appears to be a crackdown on whether or not your rig falls into CDL territory now. We are getting the most complaints about this from New York state. Several folks have said they were forced to park their trailers after getting stopped and slapped with fines. These were folks with trailers strictly for pleasure, larger horse trailers. Many of us have larger car haulers that could also cross the line weight wise.

As far as the ME registration complanits, do the state or local authorities have a leg to stand on now? Probably not. Could they change the laws and close the loophole/and or levy penalties if they find you are registering in ME? I would say they probably could, and knowing MA, probably will. Will it happen soon? Who knows? I guess you would have to watch Beacon Hill on a regular basis.

Like I said, if you do this, just be aware that it could indeed lead to some extra bullshit from the authorities if you get stopped. It's already been happening, so my advise to you is that you don't get stopped for anything. And double that in NY if you are anywhere close to CDL territory.